+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40



  1. #1
    Master BHUZzer andalee-oriental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,664
    Blog Entries
    1

    Question I don't get this costume

    There's something about this design that just seems really off to me. I just don't get it. I saw it on Dahlal and now on the Belly Dance Store. Maybe Kitty's hips are too small to fill it out? IDK? Anyone else have an opinion on this one?




    https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?...o%20perfection


  2. #2
    Fotia
    Guest Fotia's Avatar

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Somehow one of the panels covers part of the hip scarf. I would find this distracting while dancing because I think it would get tangled up.


  3. #3
    Master BHUZzer Michelle75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I personally think there are too many horizontal stripes. It would look better IMO with two MAYBE three. It breaks the flow with all the extra stripes.


  4. #4
    Official BHUZzer KHari3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    246

    Re: I don't get this costume

    With the blue one, you might be having a flashback to 'follow the yellow brick road!', but they seem Ok to me really. Uh oh, is all my taste in my mouth then? Ah, probably. :-)


  5. #5
    Advanced BHUZzer nisaasaintlouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: I don't get this costume

    NOt related to the costume, but can I just say I don't get why they always have this model splay her hands over her belly in the close-ups. It just looks weird to me for some reason.


  6. #6
    Fotia
    Guest Fotia's Avatar

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by nisaasaintlouis View Post
    NOt related to the costume, but can I just say I don't get why they always have this model splay her hands over her belly in the close-ups. It just looks weird to me for some reason.
    Maybe to show that you should wear matching belly rings? Just kidding. . .


  7. #7
    Advanced BHUZzer nisaasaintlouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by Fotia View Post
    Maybe to show that you should wear matching belly rings? Just kidding. . .
    Ha! I don't know, it just looks so odd to me. I always cringe when I see the close-ups. Maybe it's just me.


  8. #8
    Fotia
    Guest Fotia's Avatar

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Yeah, it's a little cheesy.


  9. #9
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I don't have any problems with the design of the costume, even though I wouldn't necessarily want to buy it for myself.

    I just don't like how they put ill-fitting costumes on their models just for the sake of displaying a costume on a bod. Doesn't give a true feel for the fit of the costume, and it's just plain distracting, IMO. Especially when they require stripper shoes and enormous amounts of fabric paperclipped behind the body to get a halfway decent fit.

    And yes, I didn't want to chime in on the obvious - but there are plenty of creative things to do with the hands, other than groping your own stomach. That kinda creeps me out, as well.


  10. #10
    Master BHUZzer andalee-oriental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,664
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by nisaasaintlouis View Post
    NOt related to the costume, but can I just say I don't get why they always have this model splay her hands over her belly in the close-ups. It just looks weird to me for some reason.
    I know it's weird, especially when the nail polish is chipped. Tacky! Some of the new models are doing it too.


  11. #11
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by andalee-oriental View Post
    I know it's weird, especially when the nail polish is chipped. Tacky! Some of the new models are doing it too.
    Granted, they're not modeling for a Victoria's Secret catalog. But if I were the owner of BDStore, I'd still want to make sure my "models" were at least in presentable form. Nails neatly done, no distracting wigs, stripper shoes, navel piercings or poses....that sort of thing.

    I know, I know....maybe my idea of presentable is different from what others might have in mind. But pleasing imagery sells more products, whether you're running a Mom & Pop or a huge corporate entity.


  12. #12
    Ultimate BHUZzer latriamou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Abingdon,MD
    Posts
    9,219

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Shahrzad has problems finding models that fit all the costumes. Kitty and the other ladies live close by and are available. Most of the other dancers you see photographed can't always make it over there or dont have enough time to pose for photos.
    I think she does the hands on the stomach to make it easier to focus. But i could be wrong, she's never asked me to do that when modeling.
    Chipped nailpolish, i'll mention it to her :-)


  13. #13
    Ultimate BHUZzer latriamou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Abingdon,MD
    Posts
    9,219

    Re: I don't get this costume

    oh and the shoes are provided by Shahrzad. With a lot of the skirts being very long/ models having small hips, the length needs to be taken up somewhere.
    she did tell me she got some silver and gold shoes, but maybe they dont fit the models?
    i've taken to bringing my own 3-4 inch monsters.


  14. #14
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I guess I'm just anal about basic photo shoot prep, and I'm sure these girls probably get called in at the last minute with no time to slick on a fresh coat of nail polish.

    It's also a little frustrating to get a true picture of how a costume might fit. You can wear stripper shoes or use paperclips to compensate for a poor fit off the rack, but if the costume has beading in the paperclipped area, or at the hem, then the temporary fix might be outside the scope of the costume's potential alteration. If that makes any sense. LOL


  15. #15
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Methinks, I might be overthinking this thread ..l;,


  16. #16
    Advanced BHUZzer _Tanya_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,476

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Not a fan of the costume, as for the modeling, you can't serve all purposes at all times, but I appreciate that the bellydance store is constantly updating stock and getting pics out right away. With some other stores that take the time to do model shoots you may get a better idea of the costume in perfect lighting but the updates are far and few between. Also who of us gets to wear out costumes in such "perfect" settings?
    I especially like the outdoor shots because you get to see the costume in natural light.

    Also I think Kitty is adorable and I like seeing the costumes on a human being (all be it one with friggin almost perfect figure and face) then on a plastic "model."

    The hands are a bit strange but it takes away from the dis-jointed torso look that we all LOVE so much.

    ETA: I think I don't like the costume because the horizontal lines are broken up by the pannels but in a disjointed way that both ruins the the lines on the bottom and creates an odd "tacked on" look to the pannels.
    Last edited by _Tanya_; 09-25-2009 at 10:05 AM.


  17. #17
    Mega BHUZzer Reinaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Posts
    2,111

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I love this costume and I think the girl is super-cute! ,r:;


  18. #18
    Master BHUZzer zamora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,141
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: I don't get this costume

    i would feel like a mummy in that..wopuld not be able to move!


  19. #19
    Master BHUZzer Sonja2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,143
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I actually like it...and I like it on her...

    Hmm.


  20. #20
    Advanced BHUZzer _Tanya_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,476

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja2 View Post
    I actually like it...and I like it on her...

    Hmm.
    No hmmmm, taste is subjective. I'm sure I love things that other people can't stand. Different opinions are what makes life interesting


  21. #21
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    And I'm just being my usual anal-retentive, stickler-riffic self when it comes to stupid quirky things like model poses! There are plenty of people who like this costume and would buy it in a heartbeat. And what do I know - if you bought this costume, Sonja, and it ended up being too short, I'd probably be the first one to bang down your door to buy it. LOL.


  22. #22
    Advanced BHUZzer catwomyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,119

    Re: I don't get this costume

    The design looks kinda bunchy to me but that's just personal taste. The costume does look like it is a size too big for the lovely but tiny Kitty.
    Last edited by catwomyn; 09-25-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling


  23. #23
    Advanced BHUZzer CalgaryBibi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle75 View Post
    I personally think there are too many horizontal stripes. It would look better IMO with two MAYBE three. It breaks the flow with all the extra stripes.
    I think so, too. If that lowest stripe wasn't there, it would look better, I think. Other than that, it's kind of cute. I've seen worse.


  24. #24
    Ultimate BHUZzer laura 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,520

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I'm very pear shaped, and a skirt with horizontal design details at the hip and thigh region is without a doubt the last thing I'd ever put on my body. It probably looks a zillion times better on Kitty than it would on me.


  25. #25
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by laura 2 View Post
    I'm very pear shaped, and a skirt with horizontal design details at the hip and thigh region is without a doubt the last thing I'd ever put on my body. It probably looks a zillion times better on Kitty than it would on me.
    For this reason, it would be a great design on somebody thin who wanted to create the illusion of a little bubble butt! That fourth stripe is just overkill, though, IMO.


  26. #26
    Master BHUZzer andalee-oriental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,664
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by SatinWorship19 View Post
    For this reason, it would be a great design on somebody thin who wanted to create the illusion of a little bubble butt! That fourth stripe is just overkill, though, IMO.
    I disagree. Kitty is very thin and it looks bad on her, which is hard to do because she has a slamming body.


  27. #27
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I think it looks bad because it seems to be a size or two too big. You can tell from the gapping at the waist. scratches head If you get a costume that fits right, horizontal lines across the bum and hip area can be really nice on a thin dancer! Still not feelin' this one, but to each their own!


  28. #28
    Advanced BHUZzer xodinahox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: I don't get this costume

    me no likee the design.... ... too many stripes. i'd say mme amira striked out on that one (though i usually love her designs)


  29. #29
    Advanced BHUZzer shimmygoddess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC, USA
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: I don't get this costume

    I dont particularly like this style either....esp for shorties.....too many bands across IMO....making shorties look even shorter...LOL


  30. #30
    Advanced BHUZzer Ahmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: I don't get this costume

    Quote Originally Posted by nisaasaintlouis View Post
    NOt related to the costume, but can I just say I don't get why they always have this model splay her hands over her belly in the close-ups. It just looks weird to me for some reason.
    I think the same thing each time I see the close up, the ccostume is weird o think because the stripes are to the knee and broken up by random skirt pieces. I think if less stripes and skirt pieces in one place it would look better. IMHO ;-)


Similar Threads

  1. Costume finished-ish!
    By ozma in forum Belly Dance Beauty & Costuming
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 02:58 AM
  2. WOW $165 OBO Red/gold turkish bedlah 4 pc. costume
    By Shaharazad in forum Belly Dance Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Statistics
  • Threads 40,850
  • Posts 592,471
  • Members 38,086
  • Welcome to our newest member, Elsa Nar


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200