+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 80



  1. #1
    Ultimate BHUZzer ZanaRaqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, DE
    Posts
    8,969

    sandra's beautiful bellas

    if i had the $$...






    just wanted to "ooh" and "ahh" over the beauties, and she is stunning as always. both beautiful and talented.

    that is all :) hehe
    Last edited by ZanaRaqs; 10-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.


  2. #2
    Official BHUZzer caralovescostumes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    526

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Wow! I am one of the few dancers that isn't really normally a huge bella fan - but these are stunning! I may have to consider a custom order in the future now!


  3. #3
    Ultimate BHUZzer ZanaRaqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, DE
    Posts
    8,969

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    i know what u mean, i'm a bella fan but for the really extravagent types, not the cookie-cutter ones. but that usually means more $$$, of which i do not have hehe i do have a pretty yellow bella that i will be wearing saturday that i love and lucked out on the swapmeet for an awesome price :)

    here's another i loooove:


    and i love the skirt on this one:


  4. #4
    Official BHUZzer caralovescostumes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    526

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    How much would a custom one like those run to? I'm ok with eman prices, but I know Bellas are way more...


  5. #5
    Master BHUZzer salsabelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Twin cities, MN, US
    Posts
    3,751
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Yep. definitely in the "If I only had the money" club, but sadly, also in the "If I only had that body" club too. :)


  6. #6
    Ultimate BHUZzer ZanaRaqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, DE
    Posts
    8,969

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by caralovescostumes View Post
    How much would a custom one like those run to? I'm ok with eman prices, but I know Bellas are way more...
    if there's a particular element in a costume you like (like let's say, the kind of cutouts on the black skirt) she can work within your budget. i haven't custom ordered from her (yet) but i believe it gets really expensive when you try and make it as close to another costume as possible. eman is usually within the $500 range for custom orders, right? you can get a custom bella around that price and still have it be pretty sparkly.


  7. #7
    Master BHUZzer andalee-oriental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,664
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    IDK, they're nice and all, and I love Sandra, I just find it incredibly boring that she only wears bella. Other costume designers do exist. It's elitist in my opinion.


  8. #8
    Master BHUZzer Jaseena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,367

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    I don't know how people can afford extravagant costumes like these. Where do these dancers get the thousands of dollars to buy up 3-7 costumes like this?

    I will probably get flamed for writing this but I've seen her dance - her costumes some times "over power" her dancing. I look at her and don't see the dancing but see the blingy costume and get into a trance looking at the sparkle... but I'm easily entranced these days due to the bad economy and not being able to afford anything myself. So maybe it's just Bella envy.


  9. #9
    Advanced BHUZzer SummerSahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,391

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by jasani View Post
    I don't know how people can afford extravagant costumes like these. Where do these dancers get the thousands of dollars to buy up 3-7 costumes like this?
    From dancing ALL...THE...TIME. Sandra, Maria and I give up almost all our weekend nights to work in the restaurants, sometimes up to 6-7 shows in one single weekend. The money adds up, though it isn't easy money. I don't have much of a social life :-) Plus, it behooves a regular dancer to have a few different costumes in rotation since there are a lot of regular customers coming in. I dance at the same restaurant every friday and every saturday night. If I had two costumes, I'd be wearing the same thing every weekend. I'm sure the patrons want to see different costumes since (let's face it) there is a fashion show aspect to belly dance. Otherwise we wouldn't be "ooing" and "aahing" the way we do over items for sale in the swap meet.

    Once a dancer has built up a good wardrobe of costumes (which can take years depending on how much she works), it's easier to order another costume if a used costume can be sold and that money used towards the new one. The loss usually ends up at around $100-300 depending on how gently the costume was used, but that's the price we pay for wanting to have a varied wardrobe. It's a choice.


  10. #10
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by SummerSahar View Post
    I'm sure the patrons want to see different costumes since (let's face it) there is a fashion show aspect to belly dance.
    Yes. I think, if anything, a lot of dancers underestimate the importance of the whole fashion/fantasy aspect. We know there's more to the dance than flashy costumes. But that doesn't change the fact that most audiences want to see flashy costumes!


  11. #11
    Advanced BHUZzer crystalllized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Redwood City, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by andalee-oriental View Post
    IDK, they're nice and all, and I love Sandra, I just find it incredibly boring that she only wears bella. Other costume designers do exist. It's elitist in my opinion.
    I partially agree, but also have found that some designer's costumes ALWAYS fit me like a glove and other designer's costumes NEVER fit me well even though I try multiple "styles" within a designer.

    I love Eman's costumes, but have to do a lot of work on the bra to get it to look right on me. On the other hand, I can pull a Pharoanics out of the box and wear it right away because the bras fit me well.

    It is nice to order a costume that you know is going to flatter your body type with minimal effort.


  12. #12
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by crystalllized View Post
    I partially agree, but also have found that some designer's costumes ALWAYS fit me like a glove and other designer's costumes NEVER fit me well even though I try multiple "styles" within a designer.
    Agreed! Part of the reason I'm looking to collect more Bellas is that the bras always fit like a dream - and they're sturdier than a lot of the Lycra stuff that's been hot these past few years. I hate owning a "high-end" costume, only for the metallic finish on the fabric to wear off after 3 shows.

    And a lot of the newer Egyptian bras do not seem to have been engineered with human breasts in mind....w.:

    I also buy a lot of my suits and formalwear at BCBG. Not because I'm an elitist, but because they make sizes XXS and 00


  13. #13
    Advanced BHUZzer NazirahDances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,097

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    I think that to say its elitist is pretty harsh. If someone feels that a certain style/designer suits them (and their performance) the best, and can afford to purchase a ton of said costumes, there is nothing at all elitist about opting to take that route.


  14. #14
    Master BHUZzer Jaseena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,367

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by SatinWorship19 View Post
    Agreed! Part of the reason I'm looking to collect more Bellas is that the bras always fit like a dream - and they're sturdier than a lot of the Lycra stuff that's been hot these past few years. I hate owning a "high-end" costume, only for the metallic finish on the fabric to wear off after 3 shows.

    And a lot of the newer Egyptian bras do not seem to have been engineered with human breasts in mind....w.:

    I also buy a lot of my suits and formalwear at BCBG. Not because I'm an elitist, but because they make sizes XXS and 00
    That's so true. I love Turkish designers (Sim, Bella) because the bras fit (changing hooks excluded) better than Egyptian designer bras like Pharaonix (too lazy to check the spelling ), which end up being two sizes too small.


  15. #15
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by jasani View Post
    That's so true. I love Turkish designers (Sim, Bella) because the bras fit (changing hooks excluded) better than Egyptian designer bras like Pharaonix (too lazy to check the spelling ), which end up being two sizes too small.
    And don't even get me started on those damned Dina bras! They only seem to fit and flatter such a narrow range of sizes, and I always end up doing major surgery on those bras to get them to fit.


  16. #16
    Ultimate BHUZzer ZanaRaqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, DE
    Posts
    8,969

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    woah, sheesh i didn't think this would be a discussion on anything other than oohing and aahing on these sparklies!
    i guess it depends on the person, when i watch her dance i see HER dancing. i notice the costume, just like on any other dancer, and of course think they're beautiful but i think she as a dancer really comes out and that's what i pay attention to. these are just pics of the costumes i think are really nice, that's all.

    and i love turkish designed costumes (as well as russian designed ones!) because they are very sturdy and a lot of bling for your buck. who cares if it's always bellas? whatever works for the dancer's style and body is all that matters, and apparently bella has worked for her! and seeing the costumes she's sold before, she has owned an eman i think and it suited her very well too. i think bella just knows more of what she wants and how to suit her body, which i say 'go for it' cuz we all know there are certain styles we cannot pull off or just don't call out to us (i.e., sahars don't do anything for my taste 90% of the time)

    with that said, the costumes i am favoring these days that come out of my closet are all 'no names'. so it just depends on the person and what works for them. :)

    and satin, i actually like the dina bras. on me any way. my lavendar joharah (in my gallery) has one and i think it looks very nice :)


  17. #17
    Mega BHUZzer Nazarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,032

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Wow, that second photograph is beautiful!


  18. #18
    Advanced BHUZzer crystalllized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Redwood City, CA, USA
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by SatinWorship19 View Post
    And don't even get me started on those damned Dina bras! They only seem to fit and flatter such a narrow range of sizes, and I always end up doing major surgery on those bras to get them to fit.
    LOL! Yes, those Dina bras are the ones I'm talking about with Eman! After dismantling, fixing, wearing and re-fixing 3-4 times, I finally got one to look right. I almost gave up and sold it.


  19. #19
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by crystalllized View Post
    LOL! Yes, those Dina bras are the ones I'm talking about with Eman! After dismantling, fixing, wearing and re-fixing 3-4 times, I finally got one to look right. I almost gave up and sold it.
    I think your chest and ribcage have to be a very specific size/shape to make those bras work. At an AA-cup, all those bras do is display my lovely sternum

    And by the time I hike the straps high enough to prevent gapping, the top of the cup is practically hitting my collarbone. NOT a fan.

    But they look stunning on lots of other dancers. Go figure!


  20. #20
    Master BHUZzer andalee-oriental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,664
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by basina View Post
    I think that to say its elitist is pretty harsh. If someone feels that a certain style/designer suits them (and their performance) the best, and can afford to purchase a ton of said costumes, there is nothing at all elitist about opting to take that route.
    The way I see it, it's akin to a business man who only wears impeccably tailored Amani suits or some such high-end brand. It doesn't mean he's not a good business man, it's just that he's so far out of my league that it seems ridiculous. I would be more likely to do business with someone more approachable, like a dude in a Brooks Brother's suit, tasteful but approachable. However, I may be hopelessly middle class (er, low brow).

    ETA: It also seems elitist because it's like this inner circle of Bella wearers. Almost like a clique...the "I only wear Bellas" crowd. It's too posh for my taste.

    However, as I said before, I don't have a problem with Bellas per se. And again, I do think Sandra is a lovely, talented and beautiful dancer.
    Last edited by andalee-oriental; 10-20-2009 at 08:43 PM.


  21. #21
    Advanced BHUZzer NazirahDances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,097

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    "ETA: It also seems elitist because it's like this inner circle of Bella wearers. Almost like a clique...the "I only wear Bellas" crowd. It's too posh for my taste."

    Has any of these dancers actually said, with some sort of attitude, "I only wear Bellas"? I can see your point if thats the case, otherwise, its no different to me than anyones particular fancy for ANY item "posh" or not. . .

    I've had 3 Subarus now, I love them and will continue to drive them. I dont think that anyone would call me elitist over that. . . but I know people have called my BF elitist because he is on his 3rd BMW - and prefers those cars (and he is NOT one to go around yammering about it either). Its almost like reverse discrimination in some weird way and its one of those things that really bugs me to hear.

    Sorry to derail the Bella train. I love them - and I actually REALLY enjoy looking at the galleries of the dancers who have nice collections of them (I regularly check their sites for updates even!)

    On another note, I also think wearing a certain style of costume kinda gives a dancer a "look" - you can identify her not only by her dance style, but by her "look" as well.


  22. #22
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    I think it all depends on your target market. Somebody who loves to do low-key bellygrams and hookah lounges would probably fare better with no-nonsense, workhorse kinda designs that hold up to the rigors of those types of gigs and project a "classic BDer" aura. A stage dancer who performs for other dancers will often wear the daring designs seen on Dina or Randa. A dancer who is looking to do tons of high-end corporate events and weddings might like the more chichi stuff.

    Again, it's a personal choice. But we are entertainers and our particular niche market rewards gloss and glamour just as much as it does talent and hard work. You can't exactly avoid that.


  23. #23
    Ultimate BHUZzer SatinWorship19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,217

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by basina View Post
    Its almost like reverse discrimination in some weird way and its one of those things that really bugs me to hear.
    Bingo.


  24. #24
    Mega BHUZzer indigostars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,178

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by andalee-oriental View Post
    The way I see it, it's akin to a business man who only wears impeccably tailored Amani suits or some such high-end brand. It doesn't mean he's not a good business man, it's just that he's so far out of my league that it seems ridiculous. I would be more likely to do business with someone more approachable, like a dude in a Brooks Brother's suit, tasteful but approachable. However, I may be hopelessly middle class (er, low brow).

    ETA: It also seems elitist because it's like this inner circle of Bella wearers. Almost like a clique...the "I only wear Bellas" crowd. It's too posh for my taste.

    However, as I said before, I don't have a problem with Bellas per se. And again, I do think Sandra is a lovely, talented and beautiful dancer.
    I'm not sure I'm following your argument. You would choose not to go to someone for business if he wears certain clothes that are out of your price range? Even if he treats you the same way that he'd treat royalty?

    IMO, there's nothing wrong with just wearing x-brand (I only wear Levi jeans, because they're the only ones who fit), though I personally like to see variety in costumes. If people only wear Bellas, perhaps it's a fit and style issue.

    I only have problems if people behave like Bellas or designer costumers are the only worthwhile costumes, and I haven't seen that behavior yet.


  25. #25
    Ultimate BHUZzer steffib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    6,757

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    I think I can kinda see where Andalee is going with her argument (and I am afraid it is waaay to late in the day to express that coherently, so forgive me saying this badly), and to some degree I can agree with her. Let me take a slightly different angle to the issue, summarizing a discussion I had with a friend tonight - I went through old Arabesque magazines, and I was just totally blown away by the elegance and glamour of the dancers, who often did not have the high-end designer costumes we see today - and also sometimes, the puzzling design choices, of course ;-) I'd love to see more of the quality I find in those old, often home-made costumes, in contrast to the dazzling perfection we see so much of today. Being a Bhuzzer can get one a bit of a Bella-overload ;-)


  26. #26
    Advanced BHUZzer NazirahDances's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,097

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Wanting to see more variety is one thing. . . stating some one's personal taste is elitist is another entirely ;-)


  27. #27
    Established BHUZzer ElissaDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    995

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by steffib View Post
    I went through old Arabesque magazines, and I was just totally blown away by the elegance and glamour of the dancers, who often did not have the high-end designer costumes we see today - and also sometimes, the puzzling design choices, of course ;-) I'd love to see more of the quality I find in those old, often home-made costumes, in contrast to the dazzling perfection we see so much of today. Being a Bhuzzer can get one a bit of a Bella-overload ;-)
    I agree. Even though I love Bella, I would also LOOOVE to have a few of those vintage, antique bra and belt sets.


  28. #28
    Official BHUZzer SandraCZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    564

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Quote Originally Posted by andalee-oriental View Post
    ETA: It also seems elitist because it's like this inner circle of Bella wearers. Almost like a clique...the "I only wear Bellas" crowd. It's too posh for my taste.
    Hi Andalee, this could be interesting opinion, but are we still talking about Sandra and her Bellas? Because this is how this thread started.

    I know Sandra personaly and posh is the last word I would use. She was in Czech republic for a workshops, and she was sleeping on my couch, going all over the republic and to Slovakia by train with us, because we don't have a car, and she always seemed to have fun, never complained about anything and always was very humble and simple.

    We have talked a lot.. also about the costumes. She says that she wears Bellas because they always fits her like a dream. She tried also different designers, but she rather let Bella do her version of some design, because Sandra is always more satisfied with Bella.
    I think this is very personal and different for each dancers.
    I love Eman costumes, because their bras always fit me and makes me beautiful cleavage and nice body shape. As I can read, most of dancers with smaller breast hates them.

    I also think that some of designs Sandra wears are so different than classic princessy Bellas, that I wouldn't recognize it's one designer, if I don't do bellydance for so many years.

    Anyway, I also know some dancers which are buying high end costumes, even if they just finished 6months of dance course and can't do even a hip-drop properly. But they have rich husband and so on.

    But Sandra is not this case, she is dancing more than 15 years, and not wearing costumes just to be in some "I wear only XXXX brand" club.
    Btw her workshops was more crowded than some BDSS workshops in CZ. People has seen her videos, because she has many on youtube, and made their own opinion - and decided to come :) I think it speaks for itself. I have never received so many "thanks letters" during my workshop organising experience.
    Last edited by SandraCZ; 10-21-2009 at 02:26 AM.


  29. #29
    Master BHUZzer andalee-oriental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    3,664
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Clearly, I am not going to be understood on this point. Please resume oohhhing and ahhhing over Bellas. Good flounce to you!


  30. #30
    Advanced BHUZzer Ahmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,669

    Re: sandra's beautiful bellas

    Yes yes I am a Bella fanatic. They fit so well always! I'm saving up for a custom job but I also make my own costumes.
    I ooo ans aaah over Sandras web photos and Marias to! Love them!!! I also visit Satins ~shhh~


Similar Threads

  1. Beautiful Invoke The Goddess costume
    By bethsoren in forum Belly Dance Beauty & Costuming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Statistics
  • Threads 41,385
  • Posts 596,207
  • Members 38,197
  • Welcome to our newest member, Kurt_Boss


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201