+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree24Likes
  • 5 Post By shaabichic
  • 5 Post By Zumarrad
  • 1 Post By Teophania
  • 5 Post By shems
  • 1 Post By alibellySA
  • 1 Post By Rosalind
  • 1 Post By SaNoorah
  • 4 Post By zorba
  • 1 Post By Basha

Thread: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome




  1. #1
    Advanced BHUZzer shaabichic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,741

    I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Title courtesy of Devi Safir

    So what does a dancer do when she knows damn well she doesn't need another costume,
    but just has to have another one...just this once!

    Does anyone have any tips on how to stop the urge, or am I just preaching to the choir here?

    I.can't.stop.shopping
    zorba, kina, SaNoorah and 2 others like this.


  2. #2
    Official BHUZzer Teophania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Palma de Mallorca, Spain
    Posts
    395

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    I just ask myself if i'd rather invest in education or costuming, and let my good ol' sense of guilt (it's a well-developed friend) do the rest! It actually does help that I've made public statements about my commitment to not buy such and such until this and that.

    But I'm not performing right now, which is enormously helpful in this regard. Plus, now I find it easier to try to spend money on dvds, books, music...

    But seriously, try any plain budgeting trick, like writing down exactly everything that you spend on dance-related stuff (including bus fare to shows, etc.). Make some decisions ahead, and write down what you do regardless of your decision -- then all that's required is some effort to make the two match up if they don't align.

    Or there's the "latte factor". Cutting out a small expense that you make regularly can save up a lot, or at least you can be aware of where the money is going and decide if it's something that makes you happy or something that is frivolous. An example of a redirect is only drinking water at home, but ordering a soft drink or cafe con leche when you go to watch a dance show. Or wearing your current exercise gear for a while instead of buying new classwear so you can save up your pennies for performance costumes.

    Do you have a buddy your size (whom you trust with your soul) with whom you can co-own props, etc.?


  3. #3
    Mega BHUZzer Lesedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Being broke most of the time sure helps.

    I think the same thing when I have infrequent "fun" money. I could spend it all on this costume, or I could do several private lessons w/ x dancer as well as a workshop and gas money to attend a couple hafla. I also think too that I could invest the money in more materials for making costume pieces for me and to sell. Typically, the "fun" money ends up going for some unexpected expense or bill with a tiny bit left over for me to do one hafla or maybe buy a few yards of fabric and some elastic. Living on a low income makes you really really good at budgeting and prioritizing.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LesediDancer Enter coupon code "BHUZLOVE" at checkout and get a 15% discount.


  4. #4
    A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Zumarrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    12,474
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Become much uglier. You'll find you look awful in nearly everything and therefore, you won't buy them.
    zorba, tigerb, JeanneLF and 2 others like this.
    Driving Bhuzzers away with her awfulness since 2001!


  5. #5
    Official BHUZzer Teophania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Palma de Mallorca, Spain
    Posts
    395

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Zumarrad View Post
    Become much uglier. You'll find you look awful in nearly everything and therefore, you won't buy them.
    True dat.

    Or, to avoid the work of actually changing your appearance ('cause, sorry, Shaabichic would have some work to do to become ugly.... just saying), you could just invest in materials to make yourself think you're ugly. E.g., an annual subscription to a trashy fashion mag is probably like $20. Yes, it's an expense, but compared to the cost of buying a Bella, you're up to $780 or more in savings! You have to think long-term...
    shaabichic likes this.


  6. #6
    Master BHUZzer shems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    4,521

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    force yourself to sell one before you buy one.


  7. #7
    I could get used to this! alibellySA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69

    Talking Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    I have made a big effort NOT to make myself a new costume for every performance. Its hard since I have all the making of Billions of costumes staring me in the face every day!
    shaabichic likes this.


  8. #8
    Official BHUZzer Rosalind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    259

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    I find that if it's a really nice costume that is actually somewhat affordable, and I make myself wait a few days, someone else will usually snap it up first and save me
    dunyah likes this.
    Rosalind


  9. #9
    Ultimate BHUZzer dunyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eugene, OR USA
    Posts
    6,477
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    I can usually deflect the urge to buy another costume by starting on a costume project. Much cheaper and I work slowly, so it takes a long time to complete. Seems to satisfy my lust for beads and other shiny things!
    Belly Dance to the Music of Americanistan
    http://www.americanistan.com


  10. #10
    A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. SaNoorah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC/NJ, USA
    Posts
    11,606
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by shaabichic View Post
    Title courtesy of Devi Safir

    So what does a dancer do when she knows damn well she doesn't need another costume,
    but just has to have another one...just this once!

    Does anyone have any tips on how to stop the urge, or am I just preaching to the choir here?

    I.can't.stop.shopping

    CHOIR HERE!!!

    Though I've been trying to be better. If I see something I like and would rather have then something in my closet I try to sell then purchase. or work out a payment plan and still try to sell something. or trade. I've gotten much better, but spent WAY TOO MUCH $$$ when I first came to


    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalind View Post
    I find that if it's a really nice costume that is actually somewhat affordable, and I make myself wait a few days, someone else will usually snap it up first and save me
    sorry
    lol, thinking due to my first comment, it may be me
    Rosalind likes this.
    * Sa'Noorah * Petite Dancer at 4'10" / Facebook /Facebook Fan Page/ Website


  11. #11
    Advanced BHUZzer shaabichic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Teophania View Post
    I just ask myself if i'd rather invest in education or costuming, and let my good ol' sense of guilt (it's a well-developed friend) do the rest! It actually does help that I've made public statements about my commitment to not buy such and such until this and that.

    But I'm not performing right now, which is enormously helpful in this regard. Plus, now I find it easier to try to spend money on dvds, books, music...

    But seriously, try any plain budgeting trick, like writing down exactly everything that you spend on dance-related stuff (including bus fare to shows, etc.). Make some decisions ahead, and write down what you do regardless of your decision -- then all that's required is some effort to make the two match up if they don't align.

    Or there's the "latte factor". Cutting out a small expense that you make regularly can save up a lot, or at least you can be aware of where the money is going and decide if it's something that makes you happy or something that is frivolous. An example of a redirect is only drinking water at home, but ordering a soft drink or cafe con leche when you go to watch a dance show. Or wearing your current exercise gear for a while instead of buying new classwear so you can save up your pennies for performance costumes.

    Do you have a buddy your size (whom you trust with your soul) with whom you can co-own props, etc.?

    thanks! i really do need to try to budget better..i'm really horrible at it actually lol.
    i would probably have more costume money if i cut out my starbucks/panera coffee drinks. i'm not quite sure how i became so dependent on those drinks. it sounds like i have an addiction lol...

    i don't have anyone that i can share costumes with...that's a good idea, but it wouldn't work in my neck of the woods. we all kinda dance at the same places.


  12. #12
    Official BHUZzer Safran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manama, Bahrein
    Posts
    454

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Shems' advice is great - generally I try not to buy new things unless something else gets tossed out, recycled or sold.

    Another good tactic is to sleep on things - when you first see something you want, give it a few days to a week until you make the actual purchase. Your desire may have cooled off by then, or someone really has bought it already, or it has come to a sale instead!


  13. #13
    Advanced BHUZzer shaabichic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesedi View Post
    Being broke most of the time sure helps.

    I think the same thing when I have infrequent "fun" money. I could spend it all on this costume, or I could do several private lessons w/ x dancer as well as a workshop and gas money to attend a couple hafla. I also think too that I could invest the money in more materials for making costume pieces for me and to sell. Typically, the "fun" money ends up going for some unexpected expense or bill with a tiny bit left over for me to do one hafla or maybe buy a few yards of fabric and some elastic. Living on a low income makes you really really good at budgeting and prioritizing.
    you just described my life...but somehow i scrape up money to buy a costume (usually in payments). it's bad, because i tend to let a bill or 2 slide. i reason with myself by saying that the bill will still be there later...the costume won't


  14. #14
    Advanced BHUZzer shaabichic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Quote Originally Posted by Zumarrad View Post
    Become much uglier. You'll find you look awful in nearly everything and therefore, you won't buy them.


  15. #15
    Ultimate BHUZzer zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monterey, California, USA
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    Its well known in the Belly Dance world that the correct number of costumes needed by a dancer is "one more".
    Rosalind, Jessani, Safran and 1 others like this.
    "The Veiled Male"
    http://www.doubleveil.net


  16. #16
    Advanced BHUZzer Basha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,944
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: I have OST [oh shiny thing] syndrome

    I typically cannot out right afford costume's but I can usually justify purchasing the makings of them.

    And I do it when I'm bored- and at home- and not working- which in fact means' I'm flat broke.

    I did it two months ago- having a hard time making ends meet- and I got two new scarves (one hip and one for the head) and then shoes. My justification for the shoes were legit-I'd been searching for almost two months for affordable version of the shoe and very picky about it- and I found them... for under 35$ I caved ....the rest was just boredom and want want shinny things.

    I find if I can keep myself busy and not buy till I finish something I'm a little safer- but its always impulse buys that I have thought through enough to form a "oh I can do this this and this" and then I won't be bored at home.

    I have a new ap on my phone that logs my finances and keeps all my accounts pretty up to date- that has been the most helpful- usually because it yells at me LOW BANK ACCOUNT- or OVER BUDGET FOR xxxxx. OR BILL COMING x$.

    very helpful for me... self control is hard with shiny things!
    Lesedi likes this.


Similar Threads

  1. Bump on a Rump..the cure for noassatall syndrome
    By anala in forum Belly Dance Beauty & Costuming
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 09:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Statistics
  • Threads 40,851
  • Posts 592,477
  • Members 38,086
  • Welcome to our newest member, Elsa Nar


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200