I work in a Radiation Therapy department at a hospital, and we're having a Cancer Survivor's Day celebration. It's going to be a big shindig with a lot of stuff going on (DJ, door prizes, raffles, food, freebies, local celebrity guests, etc.), and since all us staff members have to volunteer to help out with it somehow, the organizers asked me if I'd be up for doing a little bellydance demonstration. I don't have any aspirations to be a teacher, but if I can share some lighthearted fun with my patients and their kids, I'm all for it!
Since this is for such a good cause, I want to do a good job, and I'd appreciate it so much if you ladies could please give me your advice on what would be some suitable movements to present during a short 10 minute "follow the bouncing butt" kind of thing. I'm not sure what kinds of things would be fun for people to try, without being too difficult. Hip slides, head slides, hip twists...what else? I'd appreciate your input so much!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
09-07-2007 04:52 PM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
- Minneapolis, MN
What to do for a short class/demonstration?
09-07-2007 05:49 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jul 2006
You could try adding hip circles and rib circles to your list of easy to explain moves for them to try. We use those all the time for quicky demos. They are usually well liked.
Good Luck! The event sounds like it will be fun!
09-07-2007 05:56 PM #3
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
- St. Louis, MO, USA
I find that beginners love to shimmy, even if they can't sustain it very long. Snake arms are usually hard for them, but in the right, supportive environment they sure love to try & laugh at themselves.
When I teach a short demo class, I usually teach a couple of moves that make up an intro choreography so we can put it together to music at the end of the class. I have one that's three big hip bumps (closing the car door) then three lifts and a pose....hold four dramatic counts.... draw the upheld arm down & out (sexy sexy sexy, if you're not feeling sexy you can substitute smoldering anger, looks the same) then 16 counts of snake arms.
That moment when we've learned the simple combos & then do it to music & they see how it fits usually evokes laughter or spontaneous applause.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
- Jul 31:Bellydance Masters
- Aug 01:Dalia Carella Summer Immersion
- Aug 02:Shimmy in the Grain 2014: Belly Dance Smorgasbord Ft. Sonya of Chicago, Stefanie Masters, Na'imah of Grand Rapids and Arielle Juliette
- Aug 02:Polish Your Skills!
- Aug 02:Sequins and Shimmies Belly Dance Show
- Aug 03:Dalia Carella Summer Immersion Gala Show
- Aug 03:WAMEDA Swap Meet
- Aug 08:Pyramid Road Intensive with Virginia and Amir Thaleb
- Aug 15:The Cincinnati Belly Dance Convention
- Aug 17:Sahara Dance Carnival: Dancing through the Decades
- Aug 24:Persian Dance Choreography with Katayoun
- Aug 29:TARAZADE- the Istanbul Festival
- Sep 04:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
- Sep 05:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
- Sep 06:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
- Yellow velvet dress $150
- White fringe with silver sequin top belt
- Men's Galabeyas/ Thobe
- Purple Chiffon Skirt and Veil Set with sequins and beads
- Oldschool Purple Melodia gypsy sleeve tie choli, Large
- Blue multi hipscarf, blue beads and silver coins
- Jul/15/14 - 2 unique folkloric dresses, one an Abla?
- OOAK Costume for Petite Dancers
- New listing! Salmon-colored costume for sale
- Custom Black, Magenta & Hearts <3
- Oldschool Cream/silver Assuit Melodia Pants & Top
- New listing! Aqua Turkish costume for sale
- Song ID
- Peach Belly Dance Costume - SOLD
- Professional costume for QUEEN (only SWAROVSKI stones)
- Threads 40,598
- Posts 590,725
- Members 38,012
- Welcome to our newest member, fgjs