I work in a Radiation Therapy department at a hospital, and we're having a Cancer Survivor's Day celebration. It's going to be a big shindig with a lot of stuff going on (DJ, door prizes, raffles, food, freebies, local celebrity guests, etc.), and since all us staff members have to volunteer to help out with it somehow, the organizers asked me if I'd be up for doing a little bellydance demonstration. I don't have any aspirations to be a teacher, but if I can share some lighthearted fun with my patients and their kids, I'm all for it!
Since this is for such a good cause, I want to do a good job, and I'd appreciate it so much if you ladies could please give me your advice on what would be some suitable movements to present during a short 10 minute "follow the bouncing butt" kind of thing. I'm not sure what kinds of things would be fun for people to try, without being too difficult. Hip slides, head slides, hip twists...what else? I'd appreciate your input so much!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
09-07-2007 04:52 PM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
- Minneapolis, MN
What to do for a short class/demonstration?
09-07-2007 05:49 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jul 2006
- Yuma, Arizona, USA
You could try adding hip circles and rib circles to your list of easy to explain moves for them to try. We use those all the time for quicky demos. They are usually well liked.
Good Luck! The event sounds like it will be fun!
09-07-2007 05:56 PM #3
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
- St. Louis, MO, USA
I find that beginners love to shimmy, even if they can't sustain it very long. Snake arms are usually hard for them, but in the right, supportive environment they sure love to try & laugh at themselves.
When I teach a short demo class, I usually teach a couple of moves that make up an intro choreography so we can put it together to music at the end of the class. I have one that's three big hip bumps (closing the car door) then three lifts and a pose....hold four dramatic counts.... draw the upheld arm down & out (sexy sexy sexy, if you're not feeling sexy you can substitute smoldering anger, looks the same) then 16 counts of snake arms.
That moment when we've learned the simple combos & then do it to music & they see how it fits usually evokes laughter or spontaneous applause.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
- Oct 03:ChicagoRaks 2014
- Oct 03:EGYPT RAQS! with Karim Nagi & Nourhan Sharif of NYC
- Oct 04:Moonlight Tribe- A Nuit Blanche Party
- Oct 11:Egyptp-Omania
- Oct 11:Snake Dance Theater Presents Egyptomania: A Love Affair with the East
- Oct 16:Aziza in New Zealand October 2014
- Oct 16:Hossam & Serena Ramzy workshops in Michigan
- Oct 17:New Zealand Belly Dance Retreat Weekend with guest teacher Aziza
- Oct 17:Master Class with Sahra Saeeda
- Oct 19:Shimmy AT Sea Belly Dance Cruise
- Oct 25:HOSSAM & SERENA RAMZY Festival in Edmonton, AB
- Nov 01:Mosaic Dance Theater Company presents
- Nov 02:Ranya Renee of NYC in Boston
- Nov 02:Lisa Zahiya in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Nov 02:Mosaic Dance Theater Company presents
- Unique Burgundy/Pink Bella -- ON HOLD
- Hot Pink Bra and Belt- Beginner
- **SEXY** Carribean Blue Black Lace Inlet Beginner Costume
- Black Velvet Costume
- Red / gold Gypsy / Bollywood skirt and choli top set from We3 Belly Dance
- Bubblegum pink / gold Gypsy / Bollywood skirt and choli top set from We3 Belly Dance
- NWOT Flirty Red With Yellow Flowers 2-Piece Oriental Costume From Dahlal
- Looking for DIY Belly Dance Costumes Resources?
- New Coverup, $50 (including shipping)
- New Coverup Dress, $60 (including shipping)
- CLOSET LIQUIDATION! Body stockings, gypsy skirt, cover up, harem pants, tie tops, cover up
- Holographic blue L Rose set (size M) - SOLD
- Red holographic Joharah - FREE shipping
- 25 Yard British Tribal Belly Dance Tribal Skirt black 4 tier
- Professional Belly Dance 25 yard Cotton Skirt
- Threads 41,216
- Posts 594,929
- Members 38,165
- Welcome to our newest member, delhielectronicsmart