*I received a free copy to review from World Dance New York*
The Best Thing About this DVD: is the program itself. Anasma has created something that is uniquely a true synthesis of two styles. Every move is at the same time both belly dance and hip hop. The fusion carries through to her costuming, music, and her expressions, as well. Itís modern and fresh but still true to the origins of both forms. If youíre familiar with Anasmaís work, you know that this is her specialty. Itís also pretty rare. I often see the label of ďfusionĒ describe routines that are just non-traditional. The dancer picks and chooses moves from different genres, but there is no true blending. You definitely wonít find that here.
Other Things I Like:
- Thereís a lot of content- two disks and over four hours worth of content. You get an explanation and drill set for both the belly dance and the hip hop moves, plus a choreography, and some performance footage.
- The belly dance drills are good enough to stand alone. You could pick up a few nice combinations even if you never use the hip hop section.
- The choreography is really cute! Itís a wonderful synthesis of the information thatís covered and good enough to be performed at a fusion themed venue.
- The DVD production values are very good. The lighting and videography are appropriate, and itís easy to find what you need through the DVD menus.
Be Warned: Although itís not clearly stated in the description, this DVD is probably best suited for intermediate and advanced level dancers. You will need a good understanding of the mechanics of movement, from either a background in belly dancing or hip hop, for the choreography. Thereís really only enough time for Anasma to breeze through the breakdown of each movement, and not enough explanation is given for beginning dancers.
To Summarize: This is a wonderful resource for experienced dancers interested in expanding their realm of experience across different genres. Even if youíre not interested specifically in hip hop, thereís a valuable lesson here as to what a true fusion of styles looks and feels like. The quality of the content and the instruction is excellent.
This is a portion of the review. The full review is on my blog. You can also find details there about the DVD giveaway.. coming this week!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
03-28-2012 12:52 PM #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2009
- Keene, New Hampshire United States
Review: Bellydance Hip Hop Liquid Fusion (Win it on my blog this week)
04-02-2012 01:09 PM #2
- Join Date
- Nov 2009
- Keene, New Hampshire United States
Re: Review: Bellydance Hip Hop Liquid Fusion (Win it on my blog this week)
For anyone who is interested, the giveaway challenge is now open! I'm giving away the DVDs I reviewed above on my blog this week.
Spring Challenge (and GIVEAWAY!): The Best Bellydance Hip Hop Fusion Video
Hereís what you have to do:
1. Find an awesome example of a dancer fusing hip hop and belly dance (any styles thereof) on YouTube. Fill out the form below and include a link to the video. Submissions are due Sunday, April 8th 2012 at noon.
2. Iíll choose my favorite three submissions based on the criteria below and post them next week (Monday, April 9th). Readers will then watch and vote for their favorite. All votes will be due by Sunday, April 15th 2012 at noon. Iíll announce the winner of the DVDS on April 16th.
What are the video submission rules?
The video must be uploaded to YouTube publicly. It should be 3-6 minutes in length. You may submit footage of yourself as the dancer. One submission per household, please. You want to get your favorite in FAST, since I will only accept the first link to a video. If you submit a link to a video thatís already been submitted, Iíll notify you and you can try again (within the give time period). Open to residents of the U.S. only.
What criteria will you use to select the final three videos?
Iíll export the links to an external document so that I may review videos independent of your contact information to avoid any personal bias. Iím looking for dancers with great technique, appropriate expression and stage presence, as well as creative costuming. S/he should fluently blend styles in a way that is innovative while maintaining a genuine connection to both art forms. Finally, you all know that I love dubstep, so Iíll award extra points if its their music choice. The quality of the video does not matter, but keep in mind that lower quality does not often pick up the subtleties of isolation present in either style.
What are the voting rules?
Anyone may vote a total of one time. Yes, you may solicit friends and family to vote for your submission. You can encourage them to vote by telling them about the bonus giveawayÖ
To enter please visit my blog this week!
By Ananke in forum Belly Dance Product News and ReviewsReplies: 0Last Post: 02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
By ElissaDancer in forum Bellydance SWAP MEET!!Replies: 1Last Post: 12-20-2011, 11:45 PM
By dreamkitaro in forum Belly Dance Product News and ReviewsReplies: 4Last Post: 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM
By GypsyInara in forum Belly Dance Product News and ReviewsReplies: 8Last Post: 06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
By Scott@WDNY in forum Belly Dance Product News and ReviewsReplies: 6Last Post: 03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Tags for this ThreadUpcoming Belly Dance Events
- May 30:WAMED Festival, Perth May 30-Jun 3 2013
- May 31:Austin Belly Dance Convention (ABDC)
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed Dinner & Dance Show
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed (aka Soraia Zaied) Teaches & Performs in CA
- Jun 06:The New York Theatrical Bellydance Conference 2013
- Jun 06:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 07:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:"Cairo By Night" June 8th at Arabesque
- Jun 08:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:Detroit Art of Belly Dance
- Jun 09:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 13:A-Z Biennial Event, USA 2013
- Jun 13:Keti Sharif - A-Z Teacher Training & Community Dance Workshops
- Jun 14:HOSSAM RAMZY AND SERENA. Workshop and show in Mexico City
- Jun 14:Jewels Of the Orient Bellydance & Wellness Festival
- Soheir Zaki and Zizi Mustafa
- Jewel-tone Purple Egyptian Dress
- Seashells!! Red & Blue Egyptian Cabaret
- FLIRTY SKIRTY Professional Tribal Fusion Vintage Lace Slit Skirt Belly Dance Costume
- getting and using pics from parties/with audience in
- Red Asi Haskal - No Longer Available
- ALMAZ, Kuala Lumpur
- Burgundy Rhinestone Costume $195 OBO (D Cup Bra, Medium skirt) - SOLD
- ma adarsh ala keda/makdarsh info
- Skirt Set: Black Mermaid Skirt with Gold Sequin Embroidery, Lycra, Lace $95 (Medium)
- Austin Belly Dance Convention....Can't Wait
- Olive Green Bella Pant Costume
- Flattering Black and Silver Bedlah
- Black and Leopard Costume -- Extremely comfortable
- Turquoise Coin Tribaret Bedlah - Stunning!
- Threads 43,390
- Posts 633,245
- Members 36,144
- Welcome to our newest member, nathaira