...anyone know of any coming up? Preferably in the midwest.
A couple years ago I took Jenebah's workshop when she was in Illinois with Domba! hosted by Blue Lotus Tribe. I haven't found one since then and am very disappointed.
Anyone hear anything?
Does Domba! or Jenebah or anyone else have good dvd's perhaps? I checked out their sites but found nothing
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: African dance workshops?
05-27-2007 07:37 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2003
African dance workshops?
05-28-2007 08:21 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jul 2003
Hey! I went to that workshop, too!
They do have a DVD out. You'll have to copy and past the below into your browser. If you do come across any workshops, please let me know. I fell in love with the African dance. It was so natural and exuberant feeling. -Beth
05-29-2007 11:49 AM #3
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
One of my background is in West African & Afro-Caribbean dance & you should try real African experience - which will help with tribal & ethnic dance styles... The live drumming that accompanies each class just puts make my heart flutter...
If you are near Chicago, there is usually one conference with master classes held every year at the South Shore Cultural Center (Chicago, IL) in mid-Aug by a Senegalese/Mali group but also features dancers & drummers from Ivory coast & other places. It starts on Thurs & runs to Sun with a show Sat evening. It's really good!!! Will have to get back to you on the exact date.
Usually Muntu dance company or Nagwa dance company have an annual dance & drum camp & it is also intense! You can probably look up their websites online. Muntu was based at Kennedy King college, but they are moving. You can also catch Idi Ciss (Muntu choreographer/dancer) offering weekly classes at the Old Town school of Folk music. Nagwa dance compnay is based at Malcolm X College.
If you want to go the the MECCA of West African dance, there is an annual weekend convention during Labor day weekend (sept) in Washington DC near Howard Universtiy. There is Senegalese, Ivory coast, Mali, & more. Hundreds of student in large auditorium....WOW!!! If you like sabah style dance or traditional drumming, this is the place. The event is held by Hassan Conte & the price is very reasonable (like $10-15 a class)
Just came back from BOCA convention in Maryland & took a workshop with Somra el Nubia (west African & bellydance fusion) as well as others styles in Afro-cuban & Afro-Brazilian orisha dance, & it was the total WOW!! experince.
Old Town School of Folk Music Armitage location also offers Afro-Caribbean weekly classes which is also very good!
Now if you are looking for North African styles, I offer workshops/private sessions in Morrocan & Tunisian styles.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By felice in forum Belly Dance Instructor CenterReplies: 0Last Post: 06-02-2007, 01:27 AM
- May 30:WAMED Festival, Perth May 30-Jun 3 2013
- May 31:Austin Belly Dance Convention (ABDC)
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed Dinner & Dance Show
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed (aka Soraia Zaied) Teaches & Performs in CA
- Jun 06:The New York Theatrical Bellydance Conference 2013
- Jun 06:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 07:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:"Cairo By Night" June 8th at Arabesque
- Jun 08:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:Detroit Art of Belly Dance
- Jun 09:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 13:A-Z Biennial Event, USA 2013
- Jun 13:Keti Sharif - A-Z Teacher Training & Community Dance Workshops
- Jun 14:HOSSAM RAMZY AND SERENA. Workshop and show in Mexico City
- Jun 14:Jewels Of the Orient Bellydance & Wellness Festival
- Soheir Zaki and Zizi Mustafa
- Jewel-tone Purple Egyptian Dress
- Seashells!! Red & Blue Egyptian Cabaret
- Tomato Red Costume
- Turkish Lime Green
- Tiger print costume
- Black/Silver/Gold Bedlah
- Royal Blue Mumtaz - No Longer Available
- FLIRTY SKIRTY Professional Tribal Fusion Vintage Lace Slit Skirt Belly Dance Costume
- $25 + shipping - Black Velvet Tribal Coin Bra - SOLD
- Yellow Bedlah
- Razia Star, London, England
- getting and using pics from parties/with audience in
- Red Asi Haskal - No Longer Available
- Beautiful Esmeralda-style Purple Skirt
- Threads 43,357
- Posts 632,964
- Members 36,122
- Welcome to our newest member, yulmill