I am trying to get belly dance more visible in my community and I thought the best way to do that would be to approach a local restaurant about having me perform maybe once a month or do a trial run then maybe bring me in once a month depending on how the performance is received.
I have a few places in mind, but non of the restaurants in my town that are still in business have had belly dancers before. How should I approach them about adding my live entertainment? And how do I talk money with them. I figured I'd go in with a number to negotiate with but keep minimum number in my mind.
What should I bring with me other than the obvious business card? My performance contract for them to look over? Pictures of me in costume? My whole promotional packet?
Do I call ahead of time and make an appointment with the manager or owner? Do I drop by for dinner (on a slow night) and then ask to speak with the manager?
Thanks in advance for the advice/pointers!
Results 1 to 2 of 2
01-12-2012 02:49 PM #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- New England
How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance beforeDiscover the Ancient Art of Belly Dance and Reclaim Your Body
01-14-2012 06:34 AM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- New Zealand
Re: How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance before
In this economic climate where most restaurants owners are very close minded about trying new things creating demand is truly an art. It takes a lot of perseverance and out of 20 places you might get 19 "no"s and one "maybe". In my opinions, target all the potential restaurants in an area, park your car and do cold calls one by one. Go in and ask if you can take a couple of minutes of the manager's time (or whoever can make an executive decision!) Then ask If they have ever considered having belly dance entertainment for the guests. If the answer is 'never thought about it, we've never really had that sort of thing" Tell them that you would like the chance to show him/her why its such a good idea to have you dance on a friday night, to create a party atmosphere and make the dining experience really memorable, and because no other restaurant in the area has a belly dancer, it'll set their place apart from the rest.
If you sense enough interest, show them your promotional material. Maybe have a folder with you containing pictures of you in costume. Say your usual rate is $x but if they have you on a regular basis you will give them a discount of $x. Unlike some other bloggers i don't have such a strong feeling about free trials. You should do whatever you think will best get your foot in the door (you're introducing a novel demand! it takes hard work) and 5 minutes of free dancing is no skin of your nose, esp if it's the chance to rock their socks off with your dance skills, grace and beauty.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By Sonja2 in forum Business of Belly DanceReplies: 25Last Post: 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
- Aug 07:JamBallah NW Festival
- Aug 08:Belly Dance Carnival! presented by Sahara Dance
- Aug 14:The Cincinnati Belly Dance Convention
- Aug 22:Utah Summer Dance Festival
- Aug 28:Tour Egypt and Attend Dom-Tack Festival with Scheherezade Imports
- Aug 29:Middle Eastern Dance Workshops and Performance with Sahra Saeeda!
- Sep 01:Lasyar Attar - the Essence of Feminine Grace
- Sep 10:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive & Festival
- Oct 03:Seminar and Performance with Irina Akukenko in Indiana!
- Oct 09:East Fest Lisbon Portugal 2015
- Nov 06:Sahra Saeeda JTE 1 in Cincinnati
- Dec 13:Jillina Is Coming to the Dominican Republic
- Jan 07:3rd Coast Tribal BellyDance Festival
- Gorgeous Purple and Silver Turkish Bedlah for A/B cup
- Beautiful Red Velvet Bella
- Gorgeous Orange Bella
- Beautiful Black and Silver Egyptian Costume
- DIY rolling dance bag with garment rack
- ISO of Purple Skirt
- Plus size orange high end Bella
- Bellydance Wholesale Garage Sale
- Egyptian red costume
- Orit Maftsir in Vienna @ Orient Express festival 2013 - Another song to ID...
- Anniversary Hello Kitty Charm Swarovski - Funds for my rescued kittens =^..^=
- Pink and Gold Bella - SOLD
- GoGo Dance Nude leather latin shoes - SOLD
- Diamant Tango black leather latin shoes
- Peach Gold Lame Isis Wings Custom Made Tall
- Threads 43,300
- Posts 607,194
- Members 38,655
- Welcome to our newest member, Nashwah