I am trying to get belly dance more visible in my community and I thought the best way to do that would be to approach a local restaurant about having me perform maybe once a month or do a trial run then maybe bring me in once a month depending on how the performance is received.
I have a few places in mind, but non of the restaurants in my town that are still in business have had belly dancers before. How should I approach them about adding my live entertainment? And how do I talk money with them. I figured I'd go in with a number to negotiate with but keep minimum number in my mind.
What should I bring with me other than the obvious business card? My performance contract for them to look over? Pictures of me in costume? My whole promotional packet?
Do I call ahead of time and make an appointment with the manager or owner? Do I drop by for dinner (on a slow night) and then ask to speak with the manager?
Thanks in advance for the advice/pointers!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
01-12-2012 02:49 PM #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- New England
How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance beforeDiscover the Ancient Art of Belly Dance and Reclaim Your Body
01-14-2012 06:34 AM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- New Zealand
Re: How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance before
In this economic climate where most restaurants owners are very close minded about trying new things creating demand is truly an art. It takes a lot of perseverance and out of 20 places you might get 19 "no"s and one "maybe". In my opinions, target all the potential restaurants in an area, park your car and do cold calls one by one. Go in and ask if you can take a couple of minutes of the manager's time (or whoever can make an executive decision!) Then ask If they have ever considered having belly dance entertainment for the guests. If the answer is 'never thought about it, we've never really had that sort of thing" Tell them that you would like the chance to show him/her why its such a good idea to have you dance on a friday night, to create a party atmosphere and make the dining experience really memorable, and because no other restaurant in the area has a belly dancer, it'll set their place apart from the rest.
If you sense enough interest, show them your promotional material. Maybe have a folder with you containing pictures of you in costume. Say your usual rate is $x but if they have you on a regular basis you will give them a discount of $x. Unlike some other bloggers i don't have such a strong feeling about free trials. You should do whatever you think will best get your foot in the door (you're introducing a novel demand! it takes hard work) and 5 minutes of free dancing is no skin of your nose, esp if it's the chance to rock their socks off with your dance skills, grace and beauty.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By Sonja2 in forum Business of Belly DanceReplies: 25Last Post: 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
- Jul 31:Bellydance Masters
- Aug 01:Dalia Carella Summer Immersion
- Aug 02:Shimmy in the Grain 2014: Belly Dance Smorgasbord Ft. Sonya of Chicago, Stefanie Masters, Na'imah of Grand Rapids and Arielle Juliette
- Aug 02:Polish Your Skills!
- Aug 02:Sequins and Shimmies Belly Dance Show
- Aug 03:Dalia Carella Summer Immersion Gala Show
- Aug 03:WAMEDA Swap Meet
- Aug 08:Pyramid Road Intensive with Virginia and Amir Thaleb
- Aug 15:The Cincinnati Belly Dance Convention
- Aug 17:Sahara Dance Carnival: Dancing through the Decades
- Aug 24:Persian Dance Choreography with Katayoun
- Aug 29:TARAZADE- the Istanbul Festival
- Sep 04:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
- Sep 05:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
- Sep 06:The Las Vegas Bellydance Intensive® & Festival
- Isis Wings with Phoenix DVD $22
- Purple Chiffon Skirt and Veil Set with sequins and beads
- Custom Black, Magenta & Hearts <3
- Song ID
- Mirrored and Embroidered Gujarati Choli
- REDUCED! Black,Magenta&Hearts <3
- Has anyone tried Horus and Isis zills?
- DVD de Danse Orientale
- Gorgeous 8 piece Pharonics of Egypt costume
- Pink and Gold Assuit Design Costume $340
- Magic Habibi Ball
- Gauging Interest - Michelle Joyce's Gorgeous Gold Bella
- Classy Black & Gold Turkish Designer costume $550
- egyptian themed music from 1920's and 1930's
- Luxe Red 5 or 6 piece costume, unique design by Shadia of Boston, light and flattering
- Threads 40,656
- Posts 591,038
- Members 38,020
- Welcome to our newest member, Maggie 1157