I am trying to get belly dance more visible in my community and I thought the best way to do that would be to approach a local restaurant about having me perform maybe once a month or do a trial run then maybe bring me in once a month depending on how the performance is received.
I have a few places in mind, but non of the restaurants in my town that are still in business have had belly dancers before. How should I approach them about adding my live entertainment? And how do I talk money with them. I figured I'd go in with a number to negotiate with but keep minimum number in my mind.
What should I bring with me other than the obvious business card? My performance contract for them to look over? Pictures of me in costume? My whole promotional packet?
Do I call ahead of time and make an appointment with the manager or owner? Do I drop by for dinner (on a slow night) and then ask to speak with the manager?
Thanks in advance for the advice/pointers!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
01-12-2012 02:49 PM #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- New England
How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance beforeDiscover the Ancient Art of Belly Dance and Reclaim Your Body
01-14-2012 06:34 AM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- New Zealand
Re: How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance before
In this economic climate where most restaurants owners are very close minded about trying new things creating demand is truly an art. It takes a lot of perseverance and out of 20 places you might get 19 "no"s and one "maybe". In my opinions, target all the potential restaurants in an area, park your car and do cold calls one by one. Go in and ask if you can take a couple of minutes of the manager's time (or whoever can make an executive decision!) Then ask If they have ever considered having belly dance entertainment for the guests. If the answer is 'never thought about it, we've never really had that sort of thing" Tell them that you would like the chance to show him/her why its such a good idea to have you dance on a friday night, to create a party atmosphere and make the dining experience really memorable, and because no other restaurant in the area has a belly dancer, it'll set their place apart from the rest.
If you sense enough interest, show them your promotional material. Maybe have a folder with you containing pictures of you in costume. Say your usual rate is $x but if they have you on a regular basis you will give them a discount of $x. Unlike some other bloggers i don't have such a strong feeling about free trials. You should do whatever you think will best get your foot in the door (you're introducing a novel demand! it takes hard work) and 5 minutes of free dancing is no skin of your nose, esp if it's the chance to rock their socks off with your dance skills, grace and beauty.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By Sonja2 in forum Business of Belly DanceReplies: 25Last Post: 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
- Apr 25:Weekend with Zahra Zuhair!
- May 01:Romani(gypsy) dance festival in Turkey
- May 03:Istanbul Gypsy Festival
- May 03:ANNUAL Atlanta SEEDs Gala and Fundraiser
- May 03:Leyla Amir Workshop
- May 03:Maria Strova Los Angeles Seminar: Dancing the Passionate Salome
- May 09:30th annual Shimmy by the Sea
- May 10:Shimmy Mob
- May 10:World Belly Dance Day Fundraiser for Haven
- May 13:Tribal Fest® 14
- May 17:ZAFIRAH presents FERESHTEH HOSSEINI!
- May 23:11th Dahab Holiday Dance Festival
- May 23:Third Dancer’s Intensive
- May 30:The Austin Belly Dance Convention 2014
- May 31:Greek Folk Dance Workshop with Amartia sponsored by Studio Artemis!
- Pharonics of Egypt bra/belt set! Very sparkly and well made!! DROP LIST PRICE 25%! SALE!
- New yellow Hesham Osman costume!!
- OAK Taksim Sim Eggplant/Wine & White- Elegant!! - No Longer Available
- Iso skirt/cape sets
- Rare bright green and multicoloured Yasser - affordable price!
- IT´S A STEAL! Tomato red and golden full body costume by Hanan
- DD Bella bra/belt and accessories, includes a double layer skirt with 2 slits (non Bella skirt)
- Purple skirt
- ISO GOLD Pharonics Icicles Bra and Belt set or similar quality from Bella or Eman, prefer to trade
- Cute Orange & Black Beginner Costume
- Professional heavenly blue Hanan with purple accents - a stunner on stage!!
- Black/silver chiffon costume
- Gold and Black Bra and Belt Set
- Malayeen from Irak
- Goddess Size DD/E Beautiful Silver Bra & Belt Set - SOLD
- Threads 39,632
- Posts 584,095
- Members 37,818
- Welcome to our newest member, amar shoga