I am trying to get belly dance more visible in my community and I thought the best way to do that would be to approach a local restaurant about having me perform maybe once a month or do a trial run then maybe bring me in once a month depending on how the performance is received.
I have a few places in mind, but non of the restaurants in my town that are still in business have had belly dancers before. How should I approach them about adding my live entertainment? And how do I talk money with them. I figured I'd go in with a number to negotiate with but keep minimum number in my mind.
What should I bring with me other than the obvious business card? My performance contract for them to look over? Pictures of me in costume? My whole promotional packet?
Do I call ahead of time and make an appointment with the manager or owner? Do I drop by for dinner (on a slow night) and then ask to speak with the manager?
Thanks in advance for the advice/pointers!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
01-12-2012 02:49 PM #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- New England
How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance beforeDiscover the Ancient Art of Belly Dance and Reclaim Your Body
01-14-2012 06:34 AM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- New Zealand
Re: How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance before
In this economic climate where most restaurants owners are very close minded about trying new things creating demand is truly an art. It takes a lot of perseverance and out of 20 places you might get 19 "no"s and one "maybe". In my opinions, target all the potential restaurants in an area, park your car and do cold calls one by one. Go in and ask if you can take a couple of minutes of the manager's time (or whoever can make an executive decision!) Then ask If they have ever considered having belly dance entertainment for the guests. If the answer is 'never thought about it, we've never really had that sort of thing" Tell them that you would like the chance to show him/her why its such a good idea to have you dance on a friday night, to create a party atmosphere and make the dining experience really memorable, and because no other restaurant in the area has a belly dancer, it'll set their place apart from the rest.
If you sense enough interest, show them your promotional material. Maybe have a folder with you containing pictures of you in costume. Say your usual rate is $x but if they have you on a regular basis you will give them a discount of $x. Unlike some other bloggers i don't have such a strong feeling about free trials. You should do whatever you think will best get your foot in the door (you're introducing a novel demand! it takes hard work) and 5 minutes of free dancing is no skin of your nose, esp if it's the chance to rock their socks off with your dance skills, grace and beauty.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By Sonja2 in forum Business of Belly DanceReplies: 25Last Post: 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
- Jun 22:Workshop with Aziza Nawal & Chattanooga Raqs show
- Jun 22:Planet Egypt with Live Music June 2013
- Jun 22:Workshop with Yasmine!
- Jun 23:A Mid-Summer Dance
- Jun 28:5 day Master Workshop with Samara in New York City
- Jun 29:Karim Nagi, Omaris & Paula in DR
- Jun 29:Master Workshop with Samara in NYC
- Jun 30:Karim Nagi - Workshops
- Jun 30:Master Workshop with Samara in NYC
- Jun 30:Samara presents a Spectacular Evening
- Jul 01:Master Workshop with Samara in NYC
- Jul 02:Master Workshop with Samara in NYC
- Jul 07:Workshop with Vashti and Medea
- Jul 11:Khamsin Festival
- Jul 11:International Bellydance Competition
- Tan Gold/ Bronze costume - LOTS of fringe! $150
- Mermaids for Covenant Hospice
- Turqoise Silk 2-piece
- Moon Haven Studio, 30736
- Stunning silver-blue Eman Zaki with magic cups - SOLD
- Black costume - Brazilian design
- looking for classes/ teacher!
- Classes around chicago~~~
- Five Free Leggings
- Cristianno of Brazil Green costume
- Classes in & around San Juan Capistrano or Misson Viejo (California)?
- Black Cristtianno from Brazil Costume
- Hanan Saidi/Folk Dress
- Teacher Recommendations - in/around San Juan Capistrano, CA
- Spring Caravan 2013!!!
- Threads 43,765
- Posts 636,478
- Members 36,415
- Welcome to our newest member, scotthead25