I am trying to get belly dance more visible in my community and I thought the best way to do that would be to approach a local restaurant about having me perform maybe once a month or do a trial run then maybe bring me in once a month depending on how the performance is received.
I have a few places in mind, but non of the restaurants in my town that are still in business have had belly dancers before. How should I approach them about adding my live entertainment? And how do I talk money with them. I figured I'd go in with a number to negotiate with but keep minimum number in my mind.
What should I bring with me other than the obvious business card? My performance contract for them to look over? Pictures of me in costume? My whole promotional packet?
Do I call ahead of time and make an appointment with the manager or owner? Do I drop by for dinner (on a slow night) and then ask to speak with the manager?
Thanks in advance for the advice/pointers!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
01-12-2012 02:49 PM #1
- Join Date
- May 2011
- New England
How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance beforeDiscover the Ancient Art of Belly Dance and Reclaim Your Body
01-14-2012 06:34 AM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- New Zealand
Re: How to approach a restaurant that has never had belly dance before
In this economic climate where most restaurants owners are very close minded about trying new things creating demand is truly an art. It takes a lot of perseverance and out of 20 places you might get 19 "no"s and one "maybe". In my opinions, target all the potential restaurants in an area, park your car and do cold calls one by one. Go in and ask if you can take a couple of minutes of the manager's time (or whoever can make an executive decision!) Then ask If they have ever considered having belly dance entertainment for the guests. If the answer is 'never thought about it, we've never really had that sort of thing" Tell them that you would like the chance to show him/her why its such a good idea to have you dance on a friday night, to create a party atmosphere and make the dining experience really memorable, and because no other restaurant in the area has a belly dancer, it'll set their place apart from the rest.
If you sense enough interest, show them your promotional material. Maybe have a folder with you containing pictures of you in costume. Say your usual rate is $x but if they have you on a regular basis you will give them a discount of $x. Unlike some other bloggers i don't have such a strong feeling about free trials. You should do whatever you think will best get your foot in the door (you're introducing a novel demand! it takes hard work) and 5 minutes of free dancing is no skin of your nose, esp if it's the chance to rock their socks off with your dance skills, grace and beauty.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By Sonja2 in forum Business of Belly DanceReplies: 25Last Post: 10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
- Oct 03:ChicagoRaks 2014
- Oct 03:EGYPT RAQS! with Karim Nagi & Nourhan Sharif of NYC
- Oct 04:Moonlight Tribe- A Nuit Blanche Party
- Oct 11:Egyptp-Omania
- Oct 11:Snake Dance Theater Presents Egyptomania: A Love Affair with the East
- Oct 16:Aziza in New Zealand October 2014
- Oct 16:Hossam & Serena Ramzy workshops in Michigan
- Oct 17:New Zealand Belly Dance Retreat Weekend with guest teacher Aziza
- Oct 17:Master Class with Sahra Saeeda
- Oct 19:Shimmy AT Sea Belly Dance Cruise
- Oct 25:HOSSAM & SERENA RAMZY Festival in Edmonton, AB
- Nov 01:Mosaic Dance Theater Company presents
- Nov 02:Ranya Renee of NYC in Boston
- Nov 02:Lisa Zahiya in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Nov 02:Mosaic Dance Theater Company presents
- Unique Burgundy/Pink Bella -- ON HOLD
- Hot Pink Bra and Belt- Beginner
- **SEXY** Carribean Blue Black Lace Inlet Beginner Costume
- Black Velvet Costume
- Red / gold Gypsy / Bollywood skirt and choli top set from We3 Belly Dance
- Bubblegum pink / gold Gypsy / Bollywood skirt and choli top set from We3 Belly Dance
- NWOT Flirty Red With Yellow Flowers 2-Piece Oriental Costume From Dahlal
- Looking for DIY Belly Dance Costumes Resources?
- New Coverup, $50 (including shipping)
- New Coverup Dress, $60 (including shipping)
- CLOSET LIQUIDATION! Body stockings, gypsy skirt, cover up, harem pants, tie tops, cover up
- Holographic blue L Rose set (size M) - SOLD
- Red holographic Joharah - FREE shipping
- 25 Yard British Tribal Belly Dance Tribal Skirt black 4 tier
- Professional Belly Dance 25 yard Cotton Skirt
- Threads 41,217
- Posts 594,937
- Members 38,166
- Welcome to our newest member, stephencrane63