I've had hip problems lately (see other thread) and have finally started the road to recovery. This past weekend I woke up and realized I was not cranky, tired, or horribly achy and I felt great even though I hurt. And I suddenly realized that I had been living with chronic pain without really realizing it for months. Either my brain blocked out how bad it had been hurting or my pain tolerance is really that high, but I had the sudden ah-ha moment that chronic pain had been bringing me down for far too long. In fact it may have had a significant impact on the mood swings/almost depression I experienced when my job situation changed. When I was at work, I couldn't think straight. When I was driving I felt like I was inebriated even though I was only on Advil. I was swimming through this bizarre fog without even knowing it. I was on the verge of tears far too often. I felt like a manic depressive.
On Monday night I somehow hurt my hip again (unfortunately bursitis can be so sensitive almost anything can put you back at square one) and was back to being my moody, crying, woe is me self. But having had the experience of starting recovery I realized what was going on, I knew I simply had to take steps to relieve the pain in some way. Today I may be on drugs but the pain is greatly redued, and I feel more normal than before (odd considering I am stoned on vicodin but... that also says something.) I feel like I have a new lease on life.
Anyway, this post is to say that I have been down the chronic pain path and now realize how absolutely debilitating it is, not just physically but emotionally and mentally. It REALLY screws you up!!! My mother in law had hip problems for TEN YEARS before it got so bad she had one then the other hip replaced. I have no idea how she got through it. In short, I totally respect those with chronic pain and pray that everyone finds a way to alleviate it.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: To those with chronic pain...
06-23-2010 10:53 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2010
To those with chronic pain...
06-23-2010 11:27 AM #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2008
Re: To those with chronic pain...
A few years back, I was hospitalized for diverticulitis. I got over that, but I developed pains down my right leg/thigh. I kept telling the doctors about it, but no one knew what it was. A year later, in an effort to fix the diverticulitis, I had surgery. When they got in there, they found that my appendix had ruptured sometime during the year and that was the cause of the pains. I had persistent, shooting pains down my right leg. I eventually developed coping mechanisms ( what foods to avoid, pain meds ) so that I could at least go to work each day. It was certainly not pleasant and it gave me a lot of appreciation for sick people.
Upcoming Belly Dance Events
By andalee-oriental in forum Health, Fitness, NutritionReplies: 34Last Post: 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
By Souzan in forum Belly Dance Beauty & CostumingReplies: 12Last Post: 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
By andalee-oriental in forum Belly Dance Beauty & CostumingReplies: 7Last Post: 03-28-2009, 08:24 AM
By zafirah in forum Belly Dance Beauty & CostumingReplies: 6Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
- May 30:WAMED Festival, Perth May 30-Jun 3 2013
- May 31:Austin Belly Dance Convention (ABDC)
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed Dinner & Dance Show
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed (aka Soraia Zaied) Teaches & Performs in CA
- Jun 06:The New York Theatrical Bellydance Conference 2013
- Jun 06:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 07:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:"Cairo By Night" June 8th at Arabesque
- Jun 08:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:Detroit Art of Belly Dance
- Jun 09:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 13:A-Z Biennial Event, USA 2013
- Jun 13:Keti Sharif - A-Z Teacher Training & Community Dance Workshops
- Jun 14:HOSSAM RAMZY AND SERENA. Workshop and show in Mexico City
- Jun 14:Jewels Of the Orient Bellydance & Wellness Festival
- Soheir Zaki and Zizi Mustafa
- Jewel-tone Purple Egyptian Dress
- Seashells!! Red & Blue Egyptian Cabaret
- FLIRTY SKIRTY Professional Tribal Fusion Vintage Lace Slit Skirt Belly Dance Costume
- getting and using pics from parties/with audience in
- Red Asi Haskal - No Longer Available
- ma adarsh ala keda/makdarsh info
- Olive Green Bella Pant Costume
- Flattering Black and Silver Bedlah
- Black and Leopard Costume -- Extremely comfortable
- Turquoise Coin Tribaret Bedlah - Stunning!
- Tribal Fringe Bra Belt - OOAK Handmade Earth Tones
- Sexy Fuschia/Orange Bella 32-35 B/C/D 32-35 UH Short Lady Options! - SOLD
- Barbie Pink Sequined Galabeya
- ISO Pharaonic B/C 35" upper hip, 37" length
- Threads 43,393
- Posts 633,309
- Members 36,153
- Welcome to our newest member, marshallaustin