- Date of Birth
- August 30, 1946 (68)
- About Me:
- I love to entertain & make people happy and have been belly dancing since 2000. I have a degree in theatre from the Univ. of Wis. where I specialized in musical theatre and in costume design and a further degree in fashion design from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) in L.A., so of course I design and make most of my own costumes, as well as for other dancers (certain costume pieces for Princess Farhana, troupe costumes for Fahtiem, etc.) & am particularly adept at altering, fitting, repairing & restyling of commercial costumes.
My dance teachers over the years have been Najwa (Elissa Kyriacou), Aisha Ali, Princess Farhana, Ansuya, Fahtiem, Tonya (Tonya & Atlantis), Mesmera, Roxxanne, & Tamra-henna in L.A.; and in Atlanta Aziza Nawal and Diane Adams, and currently Hollie "Halleyah" Williams (world fusion).
In addition to private parties, I have danced in many Los Angeles area showcases & I hosted my own showcase at Masquers Cabaret in L.A. during 2005 & 2006.
I taught beginning and intermediate belly dance at Beverly Hills Adult School, at L.A. Valley College, at West L.A. College, and at L.A. Fitness (Westwood & Miracle Mile). But most of all I LOVE this dance form and LOVE to entertain people, often infusing tongue-in-cheek humor into my performances. I also have a special interactive show for kids' birthday parties that allows the children to explore their creativity & imagination through middle eastern dance.
I moved to the Atlanta area in 2008 and danced with Diane Adams/Company Mezza for awhile but I live too far outside of Atlanta to participate in weekly classes or rehearsals all the time. I now dance with "Halleyah Raks" (world fusion), who teaches in my town of Conyers, but honestly I like performing cabaret more than this style and miss it tremendously!
So now I am concentrating on creating professional costumes for dancers of any belly dance style. I still do great alterations, rebeading, refurbishment, etc. and I now have a store called "Raqs Rags" on etsy.com selling my unique one-of-a-kind belly dance wear and costumes. You can find me on Facebook as Jayne 'Najah' Somogy.
- My Favorite Dancers:
- Willow Chang (who is a close friend), Fahtiem and a WHOLE HOST of others!
- My Favorite Costumes:
- Eshta Amar's!
- My Dance/Music Style:
- Fusion! American Cabaret! Gypsy! Raqs Sharki!
- My Inspirations:
- My friend & former teacher Princess Farhana, who is great at marketing herself
Your City, State, Country. This will not be used for Event Alerts unless you specify it in the Event Alert section
- Your Location:
Get email notifications of upcoming belly dance events in the areas you choose here.
Make sure your email provider allows firstname.lastname@example.org in your inbox (not as spam)
Click on the pencil icon to make your selections.
- Separate your selected cities by commas.:
- Conyers, GA (near Atlanta), USA
- Receive Event Notifications by email:
- Total Posts
- Posts Per Day
- Total Albums
- Total Photos
- Last Activity
- 03-30-2015 10:55 AM
- Join Date
|Date||Time||Event & Description||Category||Location|