Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Show on Fit tv channel: "Shimmy"

I caught a little of this last night. It looked good.

The dancers had good technique, from what I saw. Though I didn't get to see enough to see how the instruction was done, it looked like the show covered a simple choreography.

The website indicates a bevy of trained ME dancers http://www.shimmy.tv/index.html

Anyone else catch this?

I cought it the other morning while I was up with the baby and flipping through channels. I saw the whole show but wasn't able to get up and go through the moves with the program so I couldn't evaluate it properly. It does look interesting though. I may just have to tape a couple of episodes so I can follow along when baby is napping.

Master BHUZzer Lesgemini_Zafirah's Avatar
    I've DVR'd a couple of episodes and like what I saw . The warm-ups are very good, incorporating yoga IMO. In fact, I think this show is produced by the same people who created Namaste Yoga (also on FitTV).

wow, the website is beautiful. I really like the Namaste Yoga, I hope this is as beautiful and serene too.

is it done by Aubre? She was teaching belly dancing before on that channel.
    I better record it as well?

I haven't seen it myself, but it sounds worth a look. Thanks for telling us about it!

For those who aren't aware, one of the workouts offered in the Fit TV "All Star Workouts" series is a belly dancing workout taught by Aubre. I'm embarrassed to say that I captured it on TiVo many months ago and still haven't watched it! (Eek!) But if you go to the Fit TV web site and look under All Star Workouts, you should be able to find the schedule for when they expect to rebroadcast the belly dance workout.

Well, this is going to sound petty, but why, given that they have such a beautiful website and have landed a TV series, are they wearing what looks like victoria secret underwear bras with hobby lobby home decor fringe sewed on?

Why not either nice pro costumes, or just chic workout gear?

Sedonia

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Lauren_'s Avatar
    I don't see Aubre listed as one of the dancers on the 'about us' page. I'm not familiar with any of the dancers there, but it sounds like they're 'real' dancers, so YAY!!

(Sedonia, it sounds terribly petty and I wondered the same thing!)

Master BHUZzer sabrinabellydancer's Avatar
    sounds interesting. wish i had dvr...

Quote Originally Posted by ssipes View Post
    Well, this is going to sound petty, but why, given that they have such a beautiful website and have landed a TV series, are they wearing what looks like victoria secret underwear bras with hobby lobby home decor fringe sewed on?
    Sedonia
    I hoped for the "outstanding...costumes" promised on the home page too.

tania atkinson is listed as the costume designer. maybe great dancing will make up for the lack of glitter?

the costumes bothered me, too. The dancers bios sound promising, anyway...

Sedonia
    I wondered the same thing. Especially since, given the credits of some of these girls, I'm sure they must own better costuming. Perhaps the costume designer wanted a more "approachable" (as in "I can do that!") look??

I know this is wrong, but I often make snap judgements of a dancer's quality by the kind of costuming she wears and displays on her website. My first thought when I saw these pics was "amature."

kat
    Quote Originally Posted by aazura View Post
    I wondered the same thing. Especially since, given the credits of some of these girls, I'm sure they must own better costuming. Perhaps the costume designer wanted a more "approachable" (as in "I can do that!") look??

I know this is wrong, but I often make snap judgements of a dancer's quality by the kind of costuming she wears and displays on her website. My first thought when I saw these pics was "amature."

Uhm -- yep snap judgments usually are wrong -- for example, should we consider you illiterate because you can't spell "amateur?"

Sorry -- big budget tv show or not, I would think the focus for all of us would be the quality of the dance instruction, not whether the fringe came from Hobby Lobby or Turquoise International. We've gotten very petty indeed if we can only see professional performance/quality content if someone has paid top dollar for designer-made costuming.

costuming

for the workout portion the dancers are all in practice attire, melos, scrunchy butt pants, etc with kuchi belts or short fringe sashes.

I didn't get to see the choreo run through segment, did you Beki?

It's on again tonight, I may be able to kick the hubby out long enough to see a full episode. he can watch performance vids, but can't stand instructionals.

I haven't seen "Shimmy" yet but my son told me about it being on one of the channels. He was surfing the channels before he left for work and happened upon it and told me that I would probably want to have a look at it. hmmmmm 6:30 a.m. - guess I'll have to tape it if I want to review it - I'm not usually an early bird riser!!! lol

Oh, and my son, is 31, does not live at home but both my boys know how much I enjoy bellydance so when they come across something to do with bellydance, they make sure to tell me!

i was just about to start a thread about this. i got an e-mail about it this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    Sorry -- big budget tv show or not, I would think the focus for all of us would be the quality of the dance instruction, not whether the fringe came from Hobby Lobby or Turquoise International. We've gotten very petty indeed if we can only see professional performance/quality content if someone has paid top dollar for designer-made costuming.
    No one said they should be in a top dollar designer-made costume. There is a middle ground between a $1000 eman and underwear with upholstery fringe. It is the wrong impression to give student dancers, in my opinion. I don't let my students wear decorated underwear in my shows.

Sedonia

kat
    No one said they should be in a top dollar designer-made costume. There is a middle ground between a $1000 eman and underwear with upholstery fringe. It is the wrong impression to give student dancers, in my opinion. I don't let my students wear decorated underwear in my shows.

Sedonia
    Bull. The standard costume bra starts with a bra, so technically we're all wearing decorated underwear.

Could the costumes pictured be more upscale? Yes. Should they be -- maybe. That doesn't change the focus of the question -- why is what they're wearing (as long as nothing that shouldn't be exposed is showing) matter nearly as much as the content of the program and the quality of the teaching/performing? Bravo for you that you don't allow students on stage in poorly constructed costuming. I've no problem with that, I also try to ride herd on what my students wear, even when they aren't dancing in my shows. But I have a big problem with judging the worth of any program, let alone a fitness channel exercise show, by whether the costuming of the participants is professional grade.

I'd much rather see a good dancer perform well in a costume that is simply nylon fringe hot-glued on a velvet bra than a bad dancer perform badly in a $1000 Mdme Abla. Emans or Ablas for a fitness show? IMHO simply not necessary and probably not even desirable.

I surely don't think the quality of the program depends on the costuming of the participants. But I'm glad to hear they're wearing workout wear for the class segments. The idea that our dance should be practiced and/or performed in one's underwear doesn't elevate our dance form in anyone's mind.

Bikini swimsuits are based on bras and panties -- but they AREN'T bras and panties, and no one confuses the two and wears their undies to the beach.

I don't mean any disrespect to the program at all. I think it looks like an excellent program. But I think it was a legitimate thing to be curious about, given the slick professionalism apparent in every other aspect of the program & website.

As said before, you can't cover up bad dancing with a good costume. I also agree that the the content is what we should be looking for, but first impressions are also something we remember too. Then again, if the people watching the show really enjoy what they're learning, they'll sign up for a class and learn correct attire (for public settings). I can see why they chose the outfits they did, most ladies will probably be dancing in their underwear so they probably wanted to send the message that thats ok (at home that is).
    ~~sigh~~~
    I wish I got this channel. I would really like to see the series. They're putting a dvd out with the same content, but I'd prefer to see it on tv.

I'm sure many people will wonder the same thing about their costuming. I did.

In Sedonia's defense, dance is a visual medium and visual appearance is very important. This is also particularly true in the world of TV. They chose beautiful and fit women for the program, after all, not dancers who are older or who had less generically beautiful body types, so appearance was considered on this point. And since these dancers are apparently professional performers, I think it is a very valid question to ask why their costuming looked very obviously less than professional on the website.

I don't think it is petty at all to care about costuming. I think the comparison to a bad dancer in a great costume is irrelevant. It should be a comparison between a great dancer in a great costume or a great dancer in a cheap looking costume, because that is what we are considering here. I personally would be/am disappointed every time I see a great dancer in a costume that doesn't do her level of dance justice. Appropriate workout apparel is fine for a workout instructional, but I personally think for performance costumes they should have opted for something with a little more class (regardless of what the ladies at home might be wearing).
    Last edited by shems; 10-09-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirin. View Post
    I can see why they chose the outfits they did, most ladies will probably be dancing in their underwear so they probably wanted to send the message that thats ok (at home that is).
    Why would the ladies at home be dancing in their underwear? I've never practiced in my underwear, not even when I first started out and was a video learner.

Well, there was that one time when the AC broke in my studio, and my rep group & I were practicing our little hearts out, and one girl decided to take her shirt off & dance in her bra and gypsy skirt. The rest of us followed suit. Just then a woman came in the door with her teenaged daughter who wanted to inquire about a yoga class.

We tried to explain, but I never saw those people again. ..l;,

Kat, if read my posts, you will see that I questioned the costumes but I have never said they weren't good dancers, nor did I say that the costumes invalidate the shows they have produced.

Sedonia

kat
    Quote Originally Posted by shems View Post
    . . .And since these dancers are apparently professional performers, I think it is a very valid question to ask why their costuming looked very obviously less than professional on the website.

...I personally would be/am disappointed every time I see a great dancer in a costume that doesn't do her level of dance justice. Appropriate workout apparel is fine for a workout instructional, but I personally think for performance costumes they should have opted for something with a little more class (regardless of what the ladies at home might be wearing).
    I'm fine with better costuming -- although I think many I-exercise-at-home watchers, especially those who do so because finances are tight, might be put off by high-end costumes. Perhaps, as aasura suggested, the scaled down costuming is to be less intimidating to the target audience who might interpret the upscale costuming to mean belly dance is for those who can afford those costumes.

Again, my objection is that "costuming, is it good enough or not" seems to be of more interest to us than "content, is it good enough or not." It seems to me that everytime we get-what-we-wish-for (high profile exposure to the GP) we then spend our time discussing what is wrong with the exposure rather than what is right with it. Is that glass half-full or half-empty?,r:;

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Zumarrad's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    points to decorated underwear

Hmm, wish I had Fit TV so I coul check it out.

For the record, the costumes pictured didn't bother me at all. I figured they didn't want to intimidate neophyte viewers with full-on costumes. I know that when we are in class most of us don't "dress up" and love our scrunchy butt pants and sports bras...still, for TV they were probably trying to get to that middle ground of non-boring gear that wasn't too glammed out.

Viv
    Well my two cents worth,
    What I didn't care for...warm ups, not so much enough for me to consider them warm ups in my book but that's a common complaint I have for any half hour long workout type show. My biggest dislike, the voice over gal!! Her voice just irritates the bloody tar out of me.
    The blah, doesn't thrill me but not enough to really annoy me either would be the backrounds while really pretty, kind of distracting visually in some cases. I also don't care overly much for the music or costuming choices for the end performances.
    What I liked...the movement instructions are fairly clear and I could see a brand new never danced before person able to follow with little confusion. The costuming choices for the workout itself are simple, clean lines and it's easy to see what is moving and when. The filming takes into consideration this is a visual art and the closeups/cut backs aren't done at warp speed so you miss what's going on.
    Overall I think it's good for a half hour fitness type show and could very well bring a student or three into their local classes whihc is always a good thing.

I don't have the channel so I can't watch the show, but from the general reports posted here, it seems like it's decent quality. I think you make some good points Kat, that our focus should be on the quality of the program. I'm actually thrilled FitTV has saw "fit" to produce a show like this, AND to give so much quality exposure to the dancers involved. That's one giant leap forward in my book!

Still, I think costuming is a component of the overall production quality. I don't know these dancers but I would guess that they probably own better quality costumes and probably have professional pictures of themselves in said costumes. Still, the artistic director put them in cheap looking costumes -- I'm guessing they wanted a consistent look to the photos they were using... I just disagree with what they decided that look should be. Again, I'm sure that the producers had a reason for this decision -- perhaps they felt it was more appropriate to their target audience (who are probably more in line with housewives who've never belly danced before than experiened dancers like ourselves).

My point is that when I see a dancer in a costume like this, I don't think "wow, she's an experienced pro!" I think "probably a student." And I bet women, housewives, househubands or whoever else who would be interested in show like this are probably smart enough to see the difference as well. So I think the producers are doing a disservice to their dancers by putting them in this type of clothing. Just my two cents...

missed the show again..cr.:

I thought it was good. And I enjoyed the part where they taught the 3/4 shimmy in 30 seconds..."don't worry, you'll get it".

Quote Originally Posted by NajlaHalem View Post
    I thought it was good. And I enjoyed the part where they taught the 3/4 shimmy in 30 seconds..."don't worry, you'll get it".
    I thought the same thing!!
    "Good luck with that!"

I thought the way everything was presented was good, plus the fact that the voice over lady kept reminding the ladies to check their posture. :) Good stuff.

I did NOT like the Indian hand gestures though...the "Beautiful face" "beautiful eyes looking at you" stuff. Just my own taste though. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast