Bra Padding: When is it too much??

I'm pondering a Swap Meet purchase thats maybe a cup size too big... I'm a B/C cup with a smallish ribcage and this is a C/D that's at least two inchess off my ribcage measurement.

Do you guys have some tips on how to augment the cups without just bunging the padding in there? I just don't want it to look too weird, like when you can tell there's a gap between the cup and the boob. I'm not sewing-illiterate but my skills are pretty basic.

And at what point do you look at a costume and go, OK I really can't make that bra fit me in a reasonable way?

Get a hard-cupped bra that fits you, and hand-sew its edges to the edges of the costume bra, leaving openings for stuffing. Then stuff the padding in between the costume bra and the internal bra.

Huh. I've never heard that one! What kind of stuffing, Shira?

This must be how my friend who is an A cup manages to get away with those D cup costumes :)

tamrahennatx
    For me, it depends a lot on the shape of the cups. Some I can tell that I can pad up with not much issue, others I can't.

I think that a cup size up is usually not a giant problem, but two cup sizes is usually pretty obvious (and I have been guilty of doing this).

I usually try to place my padding more to the bottom and sides of the cups and push my breasts up towards the top and center so that there's no obvious gap. Sometimes if the cups are a tad too far apart for me, I will bring them closer together with a strap (usually a ribbon or piece of decorated elastic) attached to the font of the cups right about the cleavage line. This helps prevent gappage.

When I was skinnier and it was even harder to find costumes that fit I did this with most of my costumes. Thankfully now I've been able to find more things that are closer to my size (although I always have to pad).

tamrahennatx
    Quote Originally Posted by Shira View Post
    Get a hard-cupped bra that fits you, and hand-sew its edges to the edges of the costume bra, leaving openings for stuffing. Then stuff the padding in between the costume bra and the internal bra.
    Hmm...this is an interesting fix, I will have to try it.

Master BHUZzer sabrinabellydancer's Avatar
    i like shira's fix idea. sounds very sturdy and supportive.

the trick i use is to sew in the foam pads to the cups.[the kind that add a full size, fabric covered are most comfortable] sew them in on a diagonal angle at the bottom of the cup to push in and up. use two pairs if necessary.

imo: 1 cup size padding is no big deal, actually standard :)
    too much padding is:
    totally disproportionate to rest of body
    gaps show at top of bra[not properly positioned padding]
    padding shows by rolling the lining out/up @ the top of bra

edited to add
    here is where i get great foam pads
    Lucky Lingerie Plus Inc.
    816 S. Maple Ave.
    Los Angeles, CA, 90014
    (213) 623-3510
    you can order by phone
    foam pads = beige or black
    fabric covered foam = beige, black, sometimes they have white
    Last edited by sabrinabellydancer; 11-12-2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: listed resource

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Lauren_'s Avatar
    I tried Shira's fix and loved it. I've done two bras now, and if I wind up with another one that's too big it'll be the first thing I try.

In more detail, here's what I did:
    - Removed the lining from the top edge of the cups of the costume bra
    - Cut apart the lingerie bra (just need the cups)
    - Sew the top edges of the lingerie bra cups inside the top edges of the costume bra cups (bra-within-a bra)
    - Insert padding in the empty space between the lingerie and costume bra in the bottom half of the cups (I used old shoulder pads in one bra, folded foam sheeting in another)
    - reattach lining.
    Last edited by Lauren_; 11-04-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Good idea, Shira! Whatever you do, just make sure the padding is secured! I've seen a dancer's 'chicken cutlet' style inserts come out, and it's just not good.

As far as what's too big, it's not always cup size alone. You also have to consider how wide the cups are. If the cup size is appropriate but they are so wide they come around your sides it's too big. If the width is good but you don't have enough to fill the depth, then it depends on what you feel would make you look strange. Some people only want to go up one size and some don't care if they look top heavy. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any one right answer for the "how much is too much" question.

I'm not even an A cup so this is a never ending battle for me. It's so hard for me to fit in to just a regular bra or dresses or bathing suits. It's super annoying.
    Anyway....the timing of this post is really funny. I have been working on padding a "B" costume bra and it's been giving me a really hard time. I tried so many different shapped pads, sewed in different angles, etc....only to not work right in one of the cups. (One side is even smaller than the other!)
    I decided to sew the padding on the inside and sew some trim from the cups to the straps to change the angle of the cups to help close a gap issue I am having. It's not perfect but alot better. I'm going to have to use "flash" tape, too.
    I just wish designers would make smaller cups sizes. I spend way too much time and energy trying to get things to fit me. =(

My dance community nicked named me "The boob fairy" because I do alterations on bras for dancers and hand-cut (actually carve) foam inserts that are sandwiched between felt layers and placed very strategically in the cups to help give the breasts MAXIMUM cleavage (without looking like too much of course! ,r:; )
    It dismays me to NO end when an A-cup dancer arrives with a C-cup costume and hopes that it will fit correctly. I can work ALL kinds of magic with the alterations...but it requires a LOT of additional architecture and, honestly, I have never seen a dancer go up 2-sizes and have it look good or feel secure and comfortable.
    Everyone should dedicate themselves to never purchasing an UNDERSIZED cup or a bra cup that is larger than one size up from what they usually wear...
    Gia

6 pads per cup was I think my most padded. I have a really small ribcage and a really small cup size too. I can almost never find anything with an A cup though.

I'm barely an A but have padded up to a C sucessfully. It really does depend a lot on the depth and width of the cup, whether you can do it or not. Like Andrea2 mentioned, cup overflow into the armpit is a dead giveaway that a bra is way too big. I have one bra that's a little too wide and it chafes my underarms miserably - I only wear it for very short performances.

I use 2" foam rubber to pad my bras. Because it's so firm, I have to move straps and hooks quite a bit to get the bra to not pull away from my body. The bra band needs to be super I-can-barely-breathe- tight, and the shoulder/halter straps often need to be moved closer to the center of the bra.

Quote Originally Posted by laura 2 View Post
    I'm barely an A but have padded up to a C sucessfully. It really does depend a lot on the depth and width of the cup, whether you can do it or not. Like Andrea2 mentioned, cup overflow into the armpit is a dead giveaway that a bra is way too big. I have one bra that's a little too wide and it chafes my underarms miserably - I only wear it for very short performances.

I use 2" foam rubber to pad my bras. Because it's so firm, I have to move straps and hooks quite a bit to get the bra to not pull away from my body. The bra band needs to be super I-can-barely-breathe- tight, and the shoulder/halter straps often need to be moved closer to the center of the bra.
    Exactly! It's all about the cup depth and width. I always have to move straps and remove center pieces, or move them, then connect the cups directly.

Can you guys tell me a bit more about this foam rubber technique? Act like I'm dumb... like where would I get this stuff, what shape to cut it in etc....

I don't know how much much help I'll be...my previous supplier is out of business...I actually work with blocks of foam rubber that I carve into probably what's best described as a football shape. I machine sew this 3"+ piece between two layers of felt and I have a self-developed quilting technique that puts more material where it is most needed for support and appearance...where it's sewn into the cups and how also makes minute adjustments that make a difference...
    (PS...did you get my PM about the costume in question?)
    Gia
    Last edited by Gia al Qamar; 11-06-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: shape description

I cut my pieces into half circle shapes, and put them on the bottom and armpit side of the cup (bottom one curved edge down, side one curved edge out). This makes a little shelf for my tiny booby to sit in, and when I tighten the straps, the boob portion gets pressed into the top and center side of the bra.

I just slit the fabric covring the inside of the bra, stuff the pads in, and then sew it up again. Gia's method seems much more secure, but above and beyond my crap sewing skills.

Established BHUZzer Elviza Isis's Avatar
    I buy the push-up pads available at JoAnn's Fabrics or online from 'Create-for-less' and other sewing supply outlets-- one brand name is Sil-o-ette and they are called 'Your Secret push-up style bust enhancers' but I swear I've seen them by another name but very similar packaging. They are the best!!! They come in a/b or b/c sizes- I usually use the B/C ones- they add a full cup size and are very comfy-- I even recommend them for girls that may not think they need any enhancing because I've seen bustier girls whose bras still don't fit perfectly right even if the size is okay. I have been able to do wonders with those pads and a little hook and strap adjustment (the straps being shortened can really make a difference).

They also have ones that are not push up style so if you needed extra padding you might use a flat one under a push-up one, or you might use just the flat one in a bra that already fits well just for added comfort. I cut the thread on the lining, stuff the pad under the lining on a slight diagonal or however it best fits, and re-sew the lining-- easy!

I like these a lot:
    Cleavage Curves

The "super" cleavage size definitely does what it says it will! Va-va-voom!