Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The quest for perfect makeup--a never ending search

I thought that I'd found the perfect makeup with Bare Escentuals. I love playing in the powder and tap-tap-tapping away every morning (though I swear my makeup routine takes longer than it ever did because I actually try to do something for a change).

BUT...I've been very disappointed in the even coverage or the lack thereof, rather. And, I must say, pretty unhappy with the eyeshadows. They don't seem to "stick" and my skin has really dried out since using this line - I just use more moisturizer so it's okay.

Enter - Body & Soul - a makeup line that I think is a combo effort of Nars and Chanel. Naturally, like all proper women do I bought more make up because I "fell in love" with this line, oh - just like I did BE when first discovering it. ..l;,

Never ends really, right?

Anyone else use this line? Have I been living under a rock & everyone knows about it?

Here's the link (really pretty graphics too). https://www.bodyandsoul.com/default.asp
    Last edited by danidance; 11-20-2007 at 10:31 PM.

You should check out makeupalley.com. The folks who use this site are hardcore and seem to have review just about everything under the sun! Even specific colors are reviewed, rather than just "MAC lipstick".
    Looks like this line got 50/50 reviews-some products were great, others sucked, but there are only a couple of reviews per product (as compared to the usual 20-40 reviews). What exactly did you buy? I have the hardest time getting eyeshadow to last!
    Nikki

Have you tried using a primer on your lid? I don't have the problem of keeping shadow on, but a primer like Urban Decay Primer Potion might give it something to stick to.

I'm on Makeupalley too, and it is helpful, but you still have to realize that 1. some people will go crazy for a new line, just like you, and rave about it even though it doesn't work too well 2. the same makeup line will not work for everyone, so you have to pay attention to reviews from people with the same skin type as you.

I've never heard of this line; I use Everyday Minerals. Their eyeshadows stay on great and have a nice, sheer pigmentation that enables me to wear darker colors but still look "fresh and natural"

Urban Decay Primer is great! I just bought some, and it's amazing! It even stays on if you forget to take your makeup off at night. Now I'll just have to buy more eyeshadow..........

The Urban Decay stuff is fabulous!

See, I am so not brand loyal. If you look into my makeup bag you find $100 make up brushes and drug store loose powder. I was told by a chemist who works in the makeup industry long ago that there is little differnece between the upper end 'department store' brands and what you can get in the drug store. The main difference tends to be quality of ingredients, ie natural Beeswax vs synthetic parafin.

Obviously, even within either 'catogory' there is are extremes. Avon lip colour won't stay on to save your life. But I'd use maybellines great lash before anything else out there.

{{{{HUGS}}}

The niftiest thing with this make up was probably more about what the makeup lady did than the product itself.

She applied a generous coating of their Glitz Moisturizer (shimmery & dewey looking) then she painted my face with the concealer "Beauty Stick"
    in warpaint-like stripes. Then she blended it all in. the finish was even and nice - here's a picture from last night when I got home:

The concealer stick feels like powdered creme it's so light and fluffy. I did okay this a.m. with my application though I didn't use enough of the moisturizer so didn't get the same dewey glow above. I'll use more next time.
    It was also extremely fast to apply and blended nicely (no demarcation line).

I bought several of the eyeshadows - one to use as eyeliner.

Quote Originally Posted by micamica View Post
    You should check out makeupalley.com. The folks who use this site are hardcore and seem to have review just about everything under the sun! Even specific colors are reviewed, rather than just "MAC lipstick".
    Looks like this line got 50/50 reviews-some products were great, others sucked, but there are only a couple of reviews per product (as compared to the usual 20-40 reviews). What exactly did you buy? I have the hardest time getting eyeshadow to last!
    Nikki

Danidance...I can't see the picture. I'd like to!

I'm on the lookout for a powder or foundation that will stay put on my shiny nose! I don't wear foundation anywhere else, so all I want is for it to keep down the shine. Powders look great for 3 minutes then they're gone.

oh oops, i decided to forget the picture because it really wouldn't show anything without a before to show how uneven my skin tone is, but I forgot to edit the post.

This is a goofy picture but you can see the make up well - it's very glisteny so if you don't want shine, probably a powder over it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by NajlaHalem View Post
    Danidance...I can't see the picture. I'd like to!

I'm on the lookout for a powder or foundation that will stay put on my shiny nose! I don't wear foundation anywhere else, so all I want is for it to keep down the shine. Powders look great for 3 minutes then they're gone.
    Last edited by danidance; 11-21-2007 at 04:29 PM.

I just bought a shimmery-dewy lotion too and I love it. You can mix it with foundation, or wear it under powder. I got mine from Red Earth.

I've started using Bare Minerals lately and the thing I like about it is that it's made basically from mica which is inert as far as I know, so it spares my body the slathering on of foundation on a daily basis which most likely has various chemicals, etc. that get absorbed into the system. This way, I can wear "makeup" daily yet not feel like I'm always chemically coating my skin - I can save that for performances only.

The Bare Minerals is a very natural look, but I agree, it's very subtle and not a very dramatic effect. That's kind of what I like about it (during the day I don't like looking visibly "made up") but yeah, it does feel sort of dry. Sometimes I find myself rubbing my forehead in the afternoon and realize the I am rubbing the minerals off! lol

What I'd love is a daily makeup that looks natural, evens out skin tone and gives a "glowy" effect, without chemicals or lots of artificial stuff. Even better would be something that is actually good for the skin! But for now, the minerals is still the best daily wear makeup I've found. I get a lot of compliments about looking "healthy" since I've started wearing it, whereas when I wear most foundations in the daytime, I get comments such as "where are you going? You look all made up!" But I'd love to get that "You look healthy" reaction with a little more moisture too...

Lilla,

I thought the same about the bare minerals. I noticed my skin drying out later which is probably more about the fire season dryness than the makeup. However, I noticed it was settling into my wrinkles more than creamy foundations.

Bottom line, I'll be using a combo. I love the lightness of the face powder so I'll keep using it for that for sure.

I'm a big fan of the natural look and even more of a fan of not having to spend more than 5-10 minutes on make up for work every morning. On weekends, forget it.

5 minutes max

Yeah, if I can remember to spend 5 minutes on my face before I run out the door to tackle the day's long list of work tasks, I'm doing good. I think that's what has worked the best about the minerals - I don't feel like I'm really stopping to "put on makeup", just brushing some stuff on my face really quick before I run...

makeup love...

I have to say, though, in terms of falling in love with new makeup, I also got a sample of a new Clinique foundation, very light and smooth looking, that had me ready to run to the Clinique counter to buy some. I thought "Clinique?" but I liked the smooth, dewy finish. That Body & Soul makeup does look like it has a smooth and natural finish, but don't you have beautiful skin anyway Dani?

Dani- it's really hard to tell about the makeup because it honestly just looks like you have naturally great skin. :)
    ...BTW- you guys got me hooked on makeupalley.com. Great place.
    I rarely use full foundation and haven't found a tinted moisturizer that's pale enough. I mix my own with a Clarins moisturizer (with SPF) and a Cargo foundation (also with SPF).

I don't have naturally great skin - but I don't have horrible skin either.

Basically I think I've just got the normal blotchiness and uneven skin tone that comes with aging plus some scarring that is resurfacing from youthful acne issues.

My biggest challenges are evening out my dark under eye circles & dark spots at the jawline. Also that damned dryness that will turn up in red flaky areas on my cheeks and nose every few days.

I can see the shimmer in the pic. It really does give a nice all-over glow.

I tried Bare Minerals. At first it looked great. But then I noticed after a few hours that it settled in my pores and I looked spotty. That's when I decided my skin is good enough without all over foundation and I just want something on my t-zone.

Here is my makeup review for the week: I finally made it to the mac store last week and bought studio tech foundation and some pressed powder.

After using it a few times, I'm not sure I'm very impressed. Its not bad, its just not noticeably better than the cheap Maybelline mousse foundation from Walgreens I have been using. In fact, maybe not as good.

It doesn't seem to stick to or sink in to my skin; it just floats around and looks obviously there. The makeup guy in the store told me to use a brush for best results. I buffed it into my skin for 10 minutes this morning with several expensive brushes and it just moved it around on my skin. Maybe I'm not using the right technique, but I'm not getting the "airbrushed perfection" that supposedly is possible with this product.

I should have demanded more time of the tech in the store and not purchased anything until I saw the results I wanted. But I let him put it on part of my face only to test the color. It looked a little cakey, but the store was crowded, he was trying to wait on 3 people, and he said, "oh, I haven't blended it yet" so I bought it.

I do like the mac pressed powder; though again, not sure it is better than the cheap stuff I buy at Walgreens (and I wait until I can stack a 2 for 1 with a couple of high value coupons from the paper, and get that stuff practically for free).

Sedonia

Bare Minerals just came out with an eyelid primer called "Prime Time." I just bought it so I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I love their stuff so I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

For those of you who are looking for a more intense look, have you tried "foiling" your minerals? Just put some powder in the lid of the minerals container, and add a bit of water to it to make it the consistency of a paste. Some of their colors come out really intense when you do this (here are some "wow" colors that I really like to foil: Wildflower, Fun, Azure, Envy, True Gold, Bunny Hop, 2000, Pink Posy).

The MD Formulations line of skincare products really compliments the minerals well. I use the MD Formulations moisturizers and I haven't had any problems with dryness (except when I slack off on my skin care, LOL). They make a product called "Moisture Defense Antioxidant Spray" that is very nice. You just spray a little on your face and neck when you need a little moisture pick-me-up. It works underneath or on top of your makeup.

Okay great...now I am addicted to makeupalley. Don't you know I have shows to prep for?? ..l;,

What a great site. Thanks for sharing!! Already made a couple of purchases based on the info on makeupalley. nice!

Thanks for the info about the Urban Decay primer everyone! Here I am, 28 years old, and know nothing about makeup. I love the way it looks-on other people at least-but I never have really worn it. I have so much to learn!
    Nikki

I could get used to this! HotDogYogini's Avatar
    Any recommendations for a khol type eyeliner pencil which will go on over very dry lids? I used to use Aziza but my lids seem to have gotten dryer lately.

I have a kohl style liner pencil from Stila that I bought at Sephora. It's very soft, which means it's easy to go from a fine to smudgier or more dramatic line. I hate dry, hard liner pencils.

Love Stila.

I bought one of their "smudge pots" which I think you could use as eyeliner quite easily with a brush or narrow sponge type applicator.

I love the Stila lip colors.

I'd also recommend using one of the gel liners - they're easy to apply, and dry lids won't be a problem at all. Lots of brands have their own versions, and the one I'm currently using is by Makeup Forever - it's OK but I wish it didn't dry quite so fast, as I like to smudge the line. I've also used MAC and L'oreal and for some reason they both dried out in the pot...it might be that I didn't seal the lid tight enough, but I'm not having that problem with the current pot (MU Forever)

Get an eyeliner brush to apply this product - you can get nice ones at Target by Sonia Kashuk. The best part about the gel liners is that they can look really crisp - almost like liquid liner - but is super easy to apply

Just a note for those who get dry skin or itchiness from Bare Minerals. Bare Minerals contains an ingredient called Bismuth Oxychloride, which is the by-product of lead and copper refining. It is very rare in "nature". From Mineral Makeup and Bismuth Oxychloride

"Of all the heavy metals it is the only non-toxic. Bimsuth is a carrier for fuel in nuclear reactors. Bismuth components are used in everything from detection work, to making acrylic fibers, to safety devices in fire detection and extinguishing items, soldering, magnets and medicine as well as cosmetics.

It's a very heavy element, which makes it difficult for many people to wear. It has to be forced into the pores (hence the buffing technique) otherwise it is capable of sliding off the wearer's face. The heaviness can result in clogged pores or irritated skin. Bismuth oxychloride often feels silky and not rough when rubbed between the fingers. Mineral makeup companies that do not use it have a lighter feeling makeup that usually blends into the skin better and with less effort."

I found this information when I would get itchy from wearing Bare Minerals. I LOVED Bare Minerals and to this day wish I could wear it. But I had to find an alternative due to the bismuth.

I use Aromaleigh
    Aromaleigh Mineral Cosmetics & Aromatics: Pure Mineral Makeup: Creatively & affordably formulated with the finest quality mineral pigments.

It does not contain bismuth, and is the closest in feel and results to BE that I have found (and I tried a lot). I have been using it two years now and still love it.

And I must pipe up with the "use primer!" contingent. Especially with mineral cosmetics, which just don't seem to last as long, nor does the pigment seem as strong. Use a primer, and you can buy the cheapest cosmetics and have them come out looking intense and last a long time. I use Mac Paints in Bare Canvas as my primer, and have also used Urban Decay's eye primer.

I've never used BareMinerals, so I can't comment on them, but I'd like to second TribalDancer's recommendation of Aromaleigh. I use Aromaleigh's foundation and absolutely love it. I get a good moderate coverage that looks very natural and lasts all day.

Yep, I had to stop using Bare Minerals due to Bismuth reactions. It drove me crazy when I wore it and did research to figure out what ingredient could be causing my itchiness. I've never tried Aromaleigh but have heard good things about it. I stand by Everyday Minerals though - I've had luck with everything I've tried and don't want to mess up a good thing!

Bare Minerals primer

I used the Bare Minerals primer and it didn't help out with the dryness or the shadows not sticking.

Very intriguing about the itchy reaction - that was totally happening to me!

Near penguins and polar bears,way up north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Safiyah View Post
    Yep, I had to stop using Bare Minerals due to Bismuth reactions. It drove me crazy when I wore it and did research to figure out what ingredient could be causing my itchiness. I've never tried Aromaleigh but have heard good things about it. I stand by Everyday Minerals though - I've had luck with everything I've tried and don't want to mess up a good thing!

Word!
    In my salon,another makeup artist were selling Bare Minerals and Jane Iredale,and a lot of clients had this reactions to the bismuth.
    I´ve had it too,and got rid of them forever...
    The foundations,not the MU artist!

Right now I´m alternating between Vincent Longo´s Water Canvas/Cover Girls Aqua Smooth,and Kryolan´s Ultra Cream Powder/Diorskin Compact Powder Foundation.
    The powder foundations are wonderful when you are in a hurry/in the office,and the more expensive versions are not necessarily better than the low ends-IMHO.

All of these have a "glowy" and moisturizing finish(thanks to glycerin and silicones)without being greasy and gliding around/settling in the wrinkles.

I have dry/prematurely aging skin,and these work great on my mom as well.
    She is 67 and when she wears these,people assume she is in her early 40-ies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast