making cabaret chiffon skirt

Just wondering about how many yards/circles do you usually use? I was going to make mine 37" long and was thinking about making it 2 yards material.

I made one with one full circle, but it didn't lay right on my hips and certain parts of the circle were longer than others so it had to be altered into pretty much rectangles anyhow.

I have never had this problem with tribal circle skirts....so I'm completely confused!

Anyhow, just wondering if 2 yards would be full enough for a circle skirt. It will be double layered with the top layer shorter than the bottom.

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: making cabaret chiffon skirt

About 7-9 yards is a good yardage for me, although I have on occasion used more. Height is a factor too (I am 5'9). I haven't made a skirt in a while, as I do not have a sewing machine at present. I preferred using 3 panels in the bakc, and 1 in the front.

There's an article on how to make circle skirts on my web site at Belly Dancing: Costume Corner that should answer most of your questions.

And I've used this twice and highly recommend it. ..g.: ..g.:

I've had my blue skirt hanging since September, mostly since I haven't have time to work on it (can't wait till the 15th when my semester is done), and I can really see the difference in the bottom edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Shira View Post
    There's an article on how to make circle skirts on my web site at Belly Dancing: Costume Corner that should answer most of your questions.

I prefer 3 panel skirts or what are known as 9 or 10 year skirts. Full circle in back, 1/2 circle in front. And lots of layering. The instructions on Shira's sight are execellent. And yes, it really is neceassary to let it hang for at least 2 weeks. A month is even better.

{{{HUGS}}}

that is crazy! i have made many many skirts the way shira describes...for tribal purposes.
    I made a red chiffon skirt last night- full circle in back 1/2 in front....and it totally turned out BEAUTIFUL....but it definitely needs hemmed. I've never had to hem it all funky on the edges of the circle! it is the perfect length in the middle of the circle, but is about 3 inches too long on the outside of the circle.
    My day job is being an engineer....and I just can't figure out how that is geometrically possible! haha.

I am still thinking it should be possible to make a skirt from rectangles. I realize that's not how most people do it, but why wouldn't it work? it is pretty much the same thing. If you make the circles correctly, the length at each point should be the same. Why does it matter if the waist is curved?

Jenn,
    When you cut out the circle skirt it is cut on bias. Look at the grain of the fabric. The middle of the circle is the most stable part. The farther out from the middle you go the more prone to uneven stretch the fabric piece becomes. With some bias cut fabrics you have to be very carefully with the way you cut, handle and stitch the fabric. Chiffon circle skirts need to be hung to stretch out and then trimmed before hemming.

The way you can get a circle skirt without cutting on the bias is to use gores. Also reduces the amount of fabric needed.

Souzan

You can make a skirt from rectangles. It simply isn't a circle skirt.

And yes, when it hangs on the bias, that part of the fabric stretches. When you have a second, grab a piece of woven fabric. Try pulling with the weave. Does it move. Now, grab at a 45 degree angle. see what happens.

Bias is fabo for making really slinky dresses and skirts. Because it clings to the body.

{{{HUGS}}}

For chiffon - I use at least 10m - 5 half circles. It isn't just the fullness - you can get that with 6m - but it looks as if there is nothing there.

And yes, hang a week or so then hem and store flat!

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Zumarrad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i have made many many skirts the way shira describes...for tribal purposes.
    Amazingly, use of the same technique for oriental will not cause a reverse in polarities and the end of the universe.

You can make quite a nice "full" skirt from rectangles, used lengthwise, but you won't get the same ability to pick up the edges and have a nice curved bottom. It's the best way to make a skirt from a sari length with a decorated hem - cut a shorter length for the front, turn over a casing at the top edge for your elastic or drawstring, hem the raw edges and voila. (That, of course, is if you want leg slits. If you don't, you can just gather up the whole thing.)

You can make a skirt from rectangles but if you want it very full you will end up with A LOT of extra fabric at the top where you insert your elastic. It will bunch and not look good. And you will also not end up with the rounded edge at the bottome as Zumarrad describes.

In addition to the bias issue, the reason the circle skirt is not hanging evenly over your hips is because your hips do not form a perfect circle. There is more girth on the sides and back than in the front which will make the skirt hang longer in some areas and shorter in others. The best way to hem it (after you've let it hang for a while) is to have someone measure and pin it from the floor while you are wearing it. To just take up 2" say all around will result in an uneven hem when the skirt is worn.

Quote Originally Posted by zumarrad View Post
    Amazingly, use of the same technique for oriental will not cause a reverse in polarities and the end of the universe.
    oh, but I think the universe HAS ended. I used to like this sewing thing... but I'm about sick of ripping this chiffon apart and putting it back together.

Haha.

Thanks for the input ladies! I shall see what I can come up with and I will share as soon as possible :)

I use 6 yards for a cirle and half skirt. I also put on the waist band with elastic and let it hang on my dress form for at least a week before hemming.

I made a circle skirt last week and now I need to wait untill the fabric has stretched out. I prefer circle skirts with an added layer, like a handkerchief skirt, petals made from fabric remnants or other bits and pieces.

If you create a skirt out of 2 yards of fabric, it will create unflatering bulges at the waistband and when you do turns the skirt will look like an inflated bag instead of spinning out like a circle skirt. I've made several skirts from two yards of fabric for normal wear, and it worked fine.

no worries. I don't need advice on making a skirt anymore...
    i used 7 yards and made a double layer skirt.
    It worked fine with the method in the link above. I will NEVER make one using a string and pencil again. This turned out much more accurate and didn't even need to hem it. It may fall in a few weeks, but I don't hang my skirts anyhow....so I don't expect much hemming needed.

Thank you anyhow. I was only posting to this again to include the wonderful link to the method of making the skirt for other people to reference

I just posted a blog about cutting a 1-1/2 circle skirt in my profile, if anyone's interested. I've figured out a way to cut them really quickly, a variation on the method in the link above. Please have a look and let me know if there are parts that don't make sense. It's really freaking hard to draw this using powerpoint. If it doesn't make sense maybe I should try doing a photo essay of the skirt cutting procedure. :)

Blog is here: http://www.bhuz.com/index.php?cmd=/p...g/view/id_417/

-Khalisah