Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blog Entries

I must ask this question...

Since we're in the business of our mid-sections... I thought this would be a great place to ask... I hope we're on the level where we can talk about this... my nemesis... the quest for the BM... SO... what makes you go? (Because I CANNOT. My norm is a few times a week.). ..c::

Razia

Re: I must ask this question...

We're friends, so I can talk poo with ya:
    Espresso, lots of espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhiadancer View Post
    Since we're in the business of our mid-sections... I thought this would be a great place to ask... I hope we're on the level where we can talk about this... my nemesis... the quest for the BM... SO... what makes you go? (Because I CANNOT. My norm is a few times a week.). ..c::

tamrahennatx

Quote Originally Posted by Razia View Post
    We're friends, so I can talk poo with ya:
    Espresso, lots of espresso.
    LOL

Azhia,

Fiber in the diet through veggies of course, but that doesn't help some of us who have a problem. There are some new treatments I've heard about on TV - can't remember the name but your internist should be able to tell you whether you're normal or not and prescribe one of these new things that help regulate. I am going to ask about them next time I see the doc.

I've had issues with this for my entire life, but lately more so (age thing). My secret is no secret - it's a tea that i drink a few times a week to keep me on track. If you want details PM me as it's a little TMI here probably.

Advanced BHUZzer Bellydancefanatic's Avatar

How's your diet? That has alot to do with it. I know because I'm the same way, and I'm tweeking my diet. It can affect your dance too. You may need to get a colonoscopy and get cleaned out to get you back regular. My personal experience with coffee or espresso....it makes it worse. But for certain body types, it will work, but temporarily. If you're looking for a long-term fix, I suggest getting a big clean out and then improving you're diet. How long has this been going on, because you may need to see a doctor.

I could get used to this! gawaher's Avatar

Eat 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. Doctors tell you to do that anyway and it will keep you moving. The fiber they contain does it. A good one most people dont think of is raw cabbage. For extra action eat prunes apples and pears. They contain something that is used in making some laxatives. Drink alot of water to help your body move all that fiber thru.

Porridge and coffee...nature's pipe cleaner!

Plenty of water, 2 litres a day, a good tip a midwife told me when I was pregnant with my girls and very constipated (ouch!) was to drink a pint or two of warm water - this did the trick every time for me!

Plenty of fruits with natural juices in, watermelon, satsumas, ripe juicy pears (yum!)

Nikki

LOL. This is so funny. Like a conversation with dh.

Seriously...I used to be the same way. It was awful when I was a teenager. But things changed a few years ago when I totally revamped my diet. I think it's my big bowl of oatmeal every morning, other fiberous veggies during the day, and the other necessity...excercise....cardio.

Coffee, helps too. OMG, that reminds me of a certain famous belly dancer (petite, blonde) who I had this conversation with once at a dance festival (I was there with a friend who she'd known for many years). It was so hilarious to hear her talking about this, we had a good laugh.

Log your food on fitday.com for a while. You need to be getting 20-30 grams of fiber daily. If you are not getting this from the fruits, veggies, and legumes you eat, you might try a fiber supplement like metamucil. There are alot of good reasons to do this besides regularity -- it lowers cholesterol and several cancer risks, and it helps you feel less hungry for meals.

Fiber, exercise, and plenty of fluids.

Diet has helped with me somewhat, but the biggy for me is stress. I have to relax to make it happen and the best thing for me is going into my sewing room or reading a good book. If I'm away from home, too, forget about it! Not much happenin' 'til I'm back in familiar territory!

fiber, lots of water, and of course, coffee!

i've also found that a bit of spirulina can help as well...and for those of us having trouble getting fiber in their diets, they make all that lovely fortified pasta now...i've also found these bars:
    High Fiber Bars | 50% of your Daily Value in 1 High Fiber Bar | Gnu Foods
    they provide a high amount of fiber, and they actually taste pretty good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vilia View Post
    Diet has helped with me somewhat, but the biggy for me is stress. I have to relax to make it happen and the best thing for me is going into my sewing room or reading a good book. If I'm away from home, too, forget about it! Not much happenin' 'til I'm back in familiar territory!
    Thaaaanks for your candidness and suggestions! This cracks me up b/c I can relate to it very well. Yours, too Raz! ..l;,

I find the coffee helps temporarily. Brown rice usually does the trick, too but I'm having problems locating the short grain variety here! Some shop keepers think that long grain brown basmati is the same, but noooo...

I like to hear what works for others to see a general concensus...

This has been going on for me my whole life. Some say "it's just the way you are." Other opinions make me feel bad b/c I'm not going 2-3 times a day (those out there who do...I am SO jealous!).

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Lauren_'s Avatar

For some people, a few times a week is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Some vegetarians, who eat plenty of fiber but no meat and little starch, might only go once a week, even -- there just isn't much waste to get rid of with some diets.

If you're not having any discomfort (bloating, cramping) and the BM isn't of a hard, dry, painful-to-pass consistency, then you can just relax into your body's natural rhythm.

If you need immediate relief, try yogurt and/or any hot liquid (coffee, tea, etc) as those both stimulate the peristalsis (contractions that help BMs).

For ongoing support, I highly recommend EFAs (essential fatty acids) to lubricate your intestines. It really, REALLY helps. Flax seed taken daily will work and has fiber to boot, or you can take the EFAs suppliment form, but it's SOOO essential for many, many bodily systems (brain, skin & hair, cardiovascular all benefit), and most people don't get nearly enough from a regular diet.

And of course, diet, excercise and lots of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren_ View Post
    For some people, a few times a week is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Some vegetarians, who eat plenty of fiber but no meat and little starch, might only go once a week, even -- there just isn't much waste to get rid of with some diets.

If you're not having any discomfort (bloating, cramping) and the BM isn't of a hard, dry, painful-to-pass consistency, then you can just relax into your body's natural rhythm.
    I have to chime in with Lauren. I'm a once a day girl myself, but my hubby probably only has a BM 2 or 3 times a week, tops. He's in good health and it doesn't cause him any discomfort, so I've always just figured it's how his body works.

San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States

What Laura and Lauren said! This has been a problem for me off and on. From what I've learned over the years from doctors and from reading reliable sources, going from 3 to 7 times per week is within the normal range, as long as you're not having pains or discomfort from it. Going 2 or 3 time per day is usually considered too often. Personally, I try to get enough fiber and liquids, including steel cut (or Irish) oatmeal and coffee for breakfast and then high fibre breads, veggies. If you're having discomfort and/or pains, please see a doctor!

Blog Entries

Um, is there any connection between this thread and the tightlacing thread? Just askin'.

Blog Entries

Very perceptive, Dunyah...I thought of that as I posted! Maybe indirectly?? There are times when I'm hyper focused on my mid-section and perhaps I'm just having "one of those times."

The BM thing is something I've always grappled with. I wonder if tightlacing would affect it negatively/positively/at all.

Admittedly, I have also had serious eating/body issues in the past; I am keenly aware of it when signs start to crop up and I am confident that it is not to the level of unhealthy eating disorder (though I may miss my mouth sometimes, which may constitute an eating dis order!) or distorted body image.

Also, when things are at a standstill in my life, as they are now, I tend to hyper focus on more mundane things, such as how my stomach is feeling. If I'm busy with lots going on and I haven't shat in 6 days, it doesn't bother me!

The tightlacing is also its own fascination, having more to do with the couture/fetish/aesthetic aspect.

:0)

Has anyone heard about ginger shots? I'm not talking boiling ginger root in water at home. Apparently they sell the shots at health food stores (in L.A. I think Erewhon has them, don't know about Whole Foods).

Apparently, you need to be home and drink the shot which is so strong it makes you cry - ginger is pretty intense after all. The result is cleaning out your system of ----- wait for it ---- worms! really it's parasites.

I dunno, I haven't googled this practice, I'm sure there's plenty of stuff about it out there. Or, perhaps it's the latest hollywood starlet thingy like colonics was back whenever or wheatgrass.

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Lauren_'s Avatar

Very perceptive, Dunyah...I thought of that as I posted! Maybe indirectly?? There are times when I'm hyper focused on my mid-section and perhaps I'm just having "one of those times."

The BM thing is something I've always grappled with. I wonder if tightlacing would affect it negatively/positively/at all.

Admittedly, I have also had serious eating/body issues in the past; I am keenly aware of it when signs start to crop up and I am confident that it is not to the level of unhealthy eating disorder (though I may miss my mouth sometimes, which may constitute an eating dis order!) or distorted body image.

Also, when things are at a standstill in my life, as they are now, I tend to hyper focus on more mundane things, such as how my stomach is feeling. If I'm busy with lots going on and I haven't shat in 6 days, it doesn't bother me!

The tightlacing is also its own fascination, having more to do with the couture/fetish/aesthetic aspect.

:0)
    It's great that you're self-aware enough to recognize all this. I think people with the healthiest attitudes toward their bodies couldn't tell you how often they have a BM, or even when their last one was. They go when they need to go, and if they don't need to go they're not thinking about it.

If anything is wrong, your body will send you signals.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Lauren. I am comforted by your response. :0)

And Danidancer, remember those "creatures" I was talking about! ack! I love ginger, but I suspect a concoction like that would give me heartburn. I tried the "eat a raw clove of garlic as soon as you start to feel a cold coming on" and I thought I was about to have a heart attack, my chest was burning so bad! I guess it killed off whatever I was about to get but oysh that was painful!

Blog Entries

if you have IBS there is no trick really & the one prescription i tried just about killed me. all of the above advice can help. i found it's not what you eat so much as when. i have to eat breakfast at the same time everyday or else. stress can trigger episodes so stress busting stuff like yoga should be included too. tina

Blog Entries

Yes, Tina, I totally hear you on the timing thing! There was a brief period in my life, just before my divorce (the irony!) when I had such a consistent eating/pooping schedule and they were great.

...tmi...?

My food intake was consistent, almost the same foods at the same time.
    Maybe that's what kept me sane during that turmoil but that is something to try to get back on again (the food, not divorce!).

Of course, sleeping at 5am and waking up at 2pm does not help.

I could get used to this! gawaher's Avatar

I tried the "eat a raw clove of garlic as soon as you start to feel a cold coming on" and I thought I was about to have a heart attack, my chest was burning so bad! I guess it killed off whatever I was about to get but oysh that was painful!
    I cant chew garlic either. I take the clove and use a knife to cut slits close together almost through to the bottom the same way you might slice a loaf of garlic bread. Then I use a large glass of water to help me swallow it unchewed like a very large pill. It slips down pretty easy because its oily. The slits are needed to release the oil into your body.

Quote Originally Posted by bul_bul_ksa View Post
    Porridge and coffee...nature's pipe cleaner!
    Coffee, berries on top of Uncle Same cereal.

Blog Entries

Nasila,
    Your recommendation actually reminded me of what I was consuming during that period in my life. There was quite a bit of hot water with lemon and healthy oils... Hmmm...
    I love the porridge and coffee reference, too. It sounds cute. And effective!

I usually go every day at the same time. Didn't used to be that way, but when I got my job that I have now, I'm on a regular schedule (before I worked really different hours, now it's always the same 9-5). So, I eat at the same time every day. I think that helps. I've been on vacation for the past week and a half, and have been eating/sleeping/getting up at very different times each day. I've noticed a significant backup. If you're not on a routine, perhaps try that out for a few weeks to see if you can get your body on a schedule.

i usually go 2-3 times a day. I've always been like this. i also used to have IBS and I think that really made me have to go so often. Since I became a Vegan nothing's changed in that respect but i've always eaten relatively healthy. I don't think it's healthy to only go a few times a week unless you only eat a few times a week. You need to eliminate waste and we eat all day long. I suggest more fiber, more water, and more relaxation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast