Bras...just bras

Hey,
    I have been making my own costumes with a variety of different bras just to see what works best....I have been using pre-made bras, cutting them up and sawing in interfacing for straps....
    But honestly, I have yet to find a bra that I am thrilled about...

What are your favourites? Brands, websites, etc?

Ideally, the bra i'm looking for is sturdy, and styled like the ones that Dina wears.

Re: Bras...just bras

I have been using a basic strapless bra that I have found at Walmart for about $6. (Can't remember the brand name) The shape and structure seem to work well and I add heavy peltex interfacing to the existing bra band to make it sturdier and non-stretchy. The cups can be made a bit stiffer with a couple of layers of Stiffen Quick found at your craft/fabric store. It seems that strapless bras have a better structure.

I also used a Victorias Secret "Secret Embrace" bra once and that worked great, although kind of expensive. I had purchased it as a regular bra to wear and thought it was too structured for daily wear. I made a great tassel/tribal bra out of though

I tried the sugar petals cups that you can buy and decided I didn't like them after making a couple of different bras with them.

ye, VS is a bit too pricey..I have been using knocks offs for 4-6 dollars, but they seem to lack structure.
    Will try the Stiffen Quick. What have you found to be the issue with Sugar Petals? I have yet to try them.

I like demi cups. strapless or convertible bras are great too. I get lots of weird looks in the lingerie dept as I hold up cups to me, twisting and turning and bending over to see if I like the line.

I don't spend tons of money on bras. I just need a good shape and firm cup. I check Target and Walmart first, then head to some place like Kohl's.

Quote Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
    ye, VS is a bit too pricey..I have been using knocks offs for 4-6 dollars, but they seem to lack structure.
    Will try the Stiffen Quick. What have you found to be the issue with Sugar Petals? I have yet to try them.
    I didn't particularly like the shape of the sugar petals cups. Plus, I found it difficult to get them aligned properly. That was a couple of years ago, and I have alot more experience now with bra-making so it might be easier. I find it easier to take a ready made bra and beef up the structure than to take anything apart and re-build it (or in the case of sugar petals - build it from the ground up).

One idea that I also had that haven't tried yet is to use the bra cups they sell at fabric/craft stores that are meant to go inside swimsuits or evening wear. I found some cups that are really stiff and I thought if I sewed them inside a ready-made bra, that it would really stiffen up the bra cups quickly and easily. I purchased a set, but haven't tried that idea out yet.

Ye, those are the cups that often times went into my costumes back in the day when I was dancing latin ballroom...they held up through cha-cha, jive, samba and the rest...and there was a lot more hopping up and down and shaking going on.

Master BHUZzer sabrinabellydancer's Avatar

i also like the strapless bras b/c they are more sturdy.
    i get them in the hit-or-miss discount stores such as marshalls.
    the bathing suit department clearance sales can be a good source for sturdy cups too, so long as you can cover the bright materials sufficiently.

I buy the hard shell strapless bras that they have at Target and Walmart. After I get them decorated, I reinforce them. Why spend all that money and buy an expensive bra to just cut up?

Any good quality, padded bra with an underwire and room to spare has done me well. I cut away the side strap and shoulder straps.

I make each new ribcage straps out of two layers of denim, lining each piece with fusible interfacing. Piece together, cover with desired fabric and sew securely to the bra.

Shoulder strap is done in the same manner, except I bead and line it before securing to the bra incase I want to move them after construction.

Cover the bra with desired fabric, bead and then give a light coating or two of fabric stiffener, then line with broadcloth.

Works for me!

I just got 2 very stiff padded bras at Kmart -- They were the Joe Boxer brand believe it or not. One even already had bump padding in the bottom and they both had a beautiful shape. It wil need to lined because it is a pink pattern. Their Bestform (I think) line also had some good ones, but they all fit VERY differently. And the bras were no more than $12 ($9 on sale)...g.:
    Last edited by jetgirl; 01-04-2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wrote wrong store

I usually buy cheapo bra's at walmart/kmart/even biglots. I have come across a couple of great bra's at thrift stores. They sometimes have the vintage style, hard cup, underwire, scalloped edged bra's.

Lane Bryant bras are great for larger sizes, and they're having an excellent sale right now (buy two, get two free). Priced as marked they're not inexpensive, but they always seem to be having a sale or coupon and there's often good stuff in the clearance section. There are several different molded styles that will work for dance bras depending on what you're using them for: I like the microfiber balconette, full-coverage and convertible ones. Lots of colors, too, in case you need to match something and can get away without covering the whole bra in fashion fabric.