Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Warning-heated debate: Have costumes become too risque?

agree

Mishy,
    I agree with you on all the following:

"I don't always agree with her costumes, however, she is 1) An amazing dancer who can layer like no other; 2) She runs her own dance company and school, she's one of the most successful in the business; 3) She has an excellent sense of humor and is very honest about herself (her life, her body, parenting, etc.); 4) She is absolutely beautiful in my opinion."

I like that costume actually - the black one with the stringy stuff - I think she looks very beautiful. I thought the "fat suhaila" comment was done tongue in cheek - like I said before - we should all be so fat & unattractive.

Someone told me recently I look like her, and I wanted to give them a few hundred bucks for saying it - one of the best compliments I've ever got.

Jillina why?

Quote Originally Posted by amity View Post
    LOL like the Black web dress Jillina wears here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7R7T...elated&search=
    I believe I saw coochie. I didn't want to see it, it was kinda forced upon me. I need to go bleach my eyes...

I like the prettiness of some of the costumes with the cutouts but in reality I would not be comfortable dancing in one of them. I know my body is not perfect and I think I prefer some of it stay covered.

It's funny because the biggest raised eyebrows I ever got from an audience was when I did the old school 70's look with lots of leg (a la Dahlena). I always have "my girls" well padded but the added bare leg look was what got everyone hot under the collar. Perhaps it's really what the audience is used to...cleavage and midriff is always expected in bellydancers but maybe lots o' leg isn't. Hmmm.....

A journey of ten thousand miles begins with a single post. Zumarrad's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When you think about it, legs haven't been in fashion for years, and it's just lately that the young fashionistas are wearing minis again. The last time I remember very short skirts being cool was mid 90s. So to young people especially, seeing a belly dancer exposing tons of leg a la Dahlena/old school Am Cab could seem shocking, if they've been used to wearing long or knee length skirts and jeans for most of their lives.

I could get used to this! Laziza's Avatar
    Hi!

I wanted to show some costumes that girls have in Russia. These costmes are made by the dancers. Personally for me these costumes are pretty risky and I do not think I would feel myself comfortable dancing in them. But they are definetely very beautiful and sexy.

Maria Shashkova and Marina Oganyan. The costumes are designed by Marina Oganyan.

Marina Oganyan

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymVASBBnDJ4[/ame] Marina's dancing in that costume

I like these costumes but they show too much skin for me...

I prefer costumes from Yasser because I like his rich design. I also love Russian designer Ninadance (she is also a beautiful dancer).

Here are some her costumes.

http://rutube.ru/tracks/116571.html Nina's dancing in her costume

I could get used to this! Arella's Avatar
    Wow! The russian belly dance costumes are HOT!
    I would love to have (and wear) any of these!

I think if you have the body, and the venue is right... go for it.

Suhaila is beautiful.... not fat

Warning: MY OPINION

I've seem so many awesome dancers but if their costumes are too distracting I miss out on their dance. I mean Dina, she is a good dancer underneath those itsy costumes! I am also very modest being a D/DD because I don't want people looking at my boobs more than my dancing. But again, I am also larger and if I had the bod I might be willing to try more mesh cut-outs...

Quote Originally Posted by nimah View Post
    As long as they're body-conscious about it and choose things that are flattering to their shape
    Now there's the rub. Wearing what suits you. I think the most unflattering thing about most costumes is the lack of arm cover. If your arms are less that toned, forget the skimpy style Eman. Even more horrendous is when you suffer from back curtains. That, coupled with Bingo Wings equals a YUK factor of 110. You can be a large dancer but have nice skin tone. If that's gone, cover it up.

These Russian girls have fabulous looks and figures..so they can carry it off. They'd look good in potato sacks....and we all know it. Your average dancer would look a sight for sore eyes in that skimpy skirt costume. Fantastic eye candy. I'm so jealous.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amity View Post
    LOL like the Black web dress Jillina wears here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7R7T...elated&search=
    Hmmmm it looks like some large moths got to that one, and to save the day a few glittery bits were sewn on.

Personally I like to be a little covered - something has to be left to the imagination. Some ladies can wear cutouts (discreet ones) others just don't make the grade.

I love skirts that flow and lots of sparklies on top and hips - pretty and up market.
    Last edited by Mosaika; 09-04-2007 at 05:44 AM. Reason: removing the link that got pasted with the smilie:-)

I wanted to show some costumes that girls have in Russia. These costmes are made by the dancers. Personally for me these costumes are pretty risky and I do not think I would feel myself comfortable dancing in them. But they are definetely very beautiful and sexy.
    If I caught you correctly on that, well, then damn, that is some IMPRESSIVE costume making...wow and brava to them

Addendum: I just want to clarify that I mean the sewing and embellishment technique. Personally, I think the skirts are a little too much of a free show
    Last edited by najla86; 09-04-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Laziza;49914]Hi!

These costumes are gorgeous, and To have the patience to sew like that <sigh>
    For me I would be terrified I would fall out of the tops, and would be very self conscious, and I would need to be 20 yrs younger ... so I will admire from afar.

To be honest,that video of the dancer in the skimpy mini + the all over too revealing costume+jerky and unflatering movements(at least for the costume)left a very bad impression on me,m::
    I can not imagine anyone interested in her dancing other than to wait for her private parts to show all...c:: ,m::

Quote Originally Posted by Sashy View Post
    To be honest,that video of the dancer in the skimpy mini + the all over too revealing costume+jerky and unflatering movements(at least for the costume).....
    I'm going to agree that I don't think the swingy mini-skirt was the best costume for her style of dancing, too many wide stances and such for my taste.

That being said, I am a curvy girl and I have worn mini-skirt costumes because I think I have very nice legs and I like to play up my good features. But, I generally save those for a BD crowd and I make a point to keep my legs together above the knees.

XO
    amanda

Mega BHUZzer Bellydancingcaroline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laziza View Post
    Hi!

I like all of them except the first pic lady on the right. It looks like her bra is too small for her, there is a fine balance between cleavage and having 4 boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by SamiraShuruk View Post
    I don't know. But I find boy shorts really really unflattering on almost all body types. Not many women have legs that can appear to be cut short and still look great. Kudos to those lucky few who do. :)
    Lili Gamal -- example of how great someone can look in boy shorts! Take a look at her photo in her new Sahar black rhinstore star costume -- I think it's the thread about "my new Sahar".......(sorry, don't know how to transfer pics into another thread)..... She looks FABULOUS!!! And very serene & confident. I think the intent with which you dance determines how you project the costume.........(elegant dancing = elegant costume...) I'm jealous, Lili!!!..l;,

<there is a fine balance between cleavage and having 4 boobs.>

ROFL..l;,

I don't know if they have BECOME to risky or not. The 1960's were most definately showing alot of leg and skin in general. Here is our beloved young Fifi that would make the eyes bulge out of anyone who is NOT schooled in belly dance. Also, nagwa is dancing in the same clip but she is a wedding guest. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lEY-SrJLr4[/ame]

And Nagwa in the same style. Butt cheeks are visable in this one. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv8s1cHFYt8[/ame]

So, I feel that the costumes today are not any more reveling than the ones from 40 yrs. ago, they are just revealing in a different way.
    Last edited by Michelle75; 09-05-2007 at 04:58 PM.

If you take a good look, you'll notice that Fifi has a full body stocking on. The Nagwa vid can't be shown as it's embedded!

{{{HUGS}}}

WHAT is that bride (?) wearing on her head?!?! Priceless. ..l;, Maybe that's where Kaya & Sadie got the idea for their white feather boa costumes.

Yes, I know Fifi is wearing a body stocking. Her legs with stockings go on for miles and that is revealing. I know it was the style for the time but it too was showing much skin like today. I like it myself but MY body doesn't allow it. hahhah!!
    Last edited by Michelle75; 09-05-2007 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kharis_UK View Post
    These Russian girls have fabulous looks and figures..so they can carry it off. They'd look good in potato sacks....and we all know it. Your average dancer would look a sight for sore eyes in that skimpy skirt costume. Fantastic eye candy. I'm so jealous.....
    just fyi (please do not take offense that I am mentioning this)
    "Sight for sore eyes" means it's a good thing...i.e. it's a sight for my sore eyes - it's so refreshing and healing for your eyes to experience this beautiful sight before you. I don't think that's how you meant it though judging from the context.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a...sore-eyes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydancingcaroline View Post
    I like all of them except the first pic lady on the right. It looks like her bra is too small for her, there is a fine balance between cleavage and having 4 boobs.
    My impression is that America has a lovely little niche of bellydancers who are part of the sci-fi convention circuit. There's probably a time for the quadra-mam.

I'm even being converted to mini skirts and pants but as Kharis says..it's getting the right look for you.
    Tahia and Samia show a fine long leg, I love Randa's cleavage..as long as I am not treated to a nipple,under-boobage, gynae. view or butt cheeks.... and the dancer has a nice smile, it's OK with me!

Inspired and off to create a poll on image!

And at least some of what must be addressed is:

1. Who's the intended audience?
    2. What's the stage like?

If I were attempting to show non BD friends, or heaven forfend family, that BD is family friendly and innocent, I would be uncomfortable in having anyone in an "is she or isn't she" costume. Nightclub, cabaret, BD only hafli-still not fond of the naked look, but wouldn't say anything. General public, student show? Nuh-uh!

Raised stage with backlighting? Having recently been subjected to raks beaver and raqui buttcheek, again, nuh-uh!

Kitty

I don't mind some modest cutouts but if I watch a dancer and the openings and cutouts are so extreme that I end up hoping her costume does not shift for her at all lest she reveal something she would not want to show or wonder how she could have any undergarment on under that style...then it is too much in my opinion. I think costumes like this distract from the dancer's performance. The costume should compliment and enhance the dancer, not distract from her dancing.

Lisa

I could get used to this! Laziza's Avatar
    i believe that to be a professional bellydancer means not only to dance and know the bellydancing theory but also to have beauty and style. Dina has developed not only the dance but more even the dancing fashion.

some people say that bellydancing is for everybody and all kinds of figures. but in that way it becomes a dance for housekeepers that do it just for fun. they can dance in pijamas or risque costumes as long as nobody can see them.

first of all any dance is the art of beauty.

love,

Laziza
    Last edited by Laziza; 09-08-2007 at 09:08 AM. Reason: for huh? people

Quote Originally Posted by Laziza View Post
    some people say that bellydancing is for everybody and all kinds of figures. but it is a dance for housekeepers that do it just for fun.

love,

Laziza
    Huh?

well...

Don't jump all over that statement to hastily because I think it's fairly accurate, though the term "housewives" in quotes would be more accurate, since the idea is really the hobbyist and non-professional.

I had a chat with Princess Farhana last year about the fact that it was the interested American housewives who kept BD alive in the states through various downturns. So it's not necessarily a pejorative idea or statement...the "housewife" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by je_ateek View Post
    Huh?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast