+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By brokentiles
  • 1 Post By Lesedi

Thread: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?




  1. #1
    Just Starting! Cassis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    36

    What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    Hello, I'm new at this site and looking for costumes. What does the word "bump" mean that I see so often in a Seller's posts? Are there any other rules/protocol to be aware of when trying to purchase an item, while not getting in the way of someone else trying to buy same costume? Is it first come, first serve?

    It's okay, but I was about to buy something and someone else quickly PM seller and bought it. It's not a problem and it's okay, I'm just beginning to learn how the site works and what I need to do to purchase an item.

    Why do some prefer PM (private messages?), while others want us to email them at their personal emails? Which should is best to use?

    Thanks! I'll get the swing of things soon! There are many beautiful costumes out there and this is a great site!

    Cassis
    Last edited by Cassis; 12-11-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo


  2. #2
    Master BHUZzer brokentiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX.
    Posts
    3,252
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    ~BUMP in a post just moves your thread up in the 1000's of posts that are on the board. You can move down REALLY FAST since there are so many posts in a day. That way it finds it's from say page 5 up to page 2 or maybe even page 1 who knows really. But if you have no one replying then it continues to move down the listings. Once a day is fine for the first week so everyone gets a chance to see it.
    ---------------------------------
    ~As for purchasing you really need to view posts ahead of yours to know if what you want is still available. Most will post the word "INTENT" if they are serious about the purchase

    ie. Intent on Hoda Zaki costume pending measurements or pictures or whatever it is you need to know before being sure it is or isn't going to work.

    As soon as you know you want it well then it's between you and the seller if you decide you don't want it make sure you see who was next in line and pass it to them so they get their chance at the costume and so on.
    -------------------------------------------
    Some people private messages don't work on Bhuz so they will state this in a posting and say either please post intent or questions, etc. in the posts or they will provide an email to get in touch with them.

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Be patient, sometimes it takes a seller a day or so to get back to check their postings. Everyone has a day job that comes first. Have fun, make friends and don't hesitate to ask questions EVERYONE was new at this once ... we remember how it was.
    Cassis likes this.


  3. #3
    Mega BHUZzer Lesedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Re: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    Hi and welcome!

    A "bump" is when a seller is trying to bump up the post or get it back on the first page of the swap board so that it can get noticed again and hopefully sell.

    Some people prefer private email because PM's weren't reliable after the last site upgrade, so people just want to be sure they get the message. I'd just do what the seller prefers on each individual post. If not specified, then just PM.

    If you want to buy a costume, post the word "Intent" and then send the seller a PM or email immediately after. Typically the first to post with intent to buy will get the costume. Most sellers use paypal for the payment transaction, though many will accept checks and things like that. If you weren't the first to post intent, don't despair. Sometimes the first poster will back out, so the next person in line will be honored. Other times, the seller will specify no lines which means the first person to pay gets it. To make things simple, don't post intent unless you are ready to buy now.

    Hope that helps!
    Cassis likes this.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LesediDancer Enter coupon code "BHUZLOVE" at checkout and get a 15% discount.


  4. #4
    Just Starting! Cassis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    36

    Re: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    Thank you for the information, it helps a lot! It's much clearer now!

    Quote Originally Posted by brokentiles View Post
    ~BUMP in a post just moves your thread up in the 1000's of posts that are on the board. You can move down REALLY FAST since there are so many posts in a day. That way it finds it's from say page 5 up to page 2 or maybe even page 1 who knows really. But if you have no one replying then it continues to move down the listings. Once a day is fine for the first week so everyone gets a chance to see it.
    ---------------------------------
    ~As for purchasing you really need to view posts ahead of yours to know if what you want is still available. Most will post the word "INTENT" if they are serious about the purchase

    ie. Intent on Hoda Zaki costume pending measurements or pictures or whatever it is you need to know before being sure it is or isn't going to work.

    As soon as you know you want it well then it's between you and the seller if you decide you don't want it make sure you see who was next in line and pass it to them so they get their chance at the costume and so on.
    -------------------------------------------
    Some people private messages don't work on Bhuz so they will state this in a posting and say either please post intent or questions, etc. in the posts or they will provide an email to get in touch with them.

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Be patient, sometimes it takes a seller a day or so to get back to check their postings. Everyone has a day job that comes first. Have fun, make friends and don't hesitate to ask questions EVERYONE was new at this once ... we remember how it was.


  5. #5
    Just Starting! Cassis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    36

    Re: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    Thanks so much for the welcome and the information! It's clearer now and really helps. I have to laugh at myself, because I realized that I never contacted the seller of the item I was prepared to buy! No wonder I didn't get it! Now I know and see that it's important to act quickly...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lesedi View Post
    Hi and welcome!

    A "bump" is when a seller is trying to bump up the post or get it back on the first page of the swap board so that it can get noticed again and hopefully sell.

    Some people prefer private email because PM's weren't reliable after the last site upgrade, so people just want to be sure they get the message. I'd just do what the seller prefers on each individual post. If not specified, then just PM.

    If you want to buy a costume, post the word "Intent" and then send the seller a PM or email immediately after. Typically the first to post with intent to buy will get the costume. Most sellers use paypal for the payment transaction, though many will accept checks and things like that. If you weren't the first to post intent, don't despair. Sometimes the first poster will back out, so the next person in line will be honored. Other times, the seller will specify no lines which means the first person to pay gets it. To make things simple, don't post intent unless you are ready to buy now.

    Hope that helps!


  6. #6
    I could get used to this! Heather Wayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    169

    Re: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    Hmm, I'm glad i saw this post....but now I feel silly. I thought "bump" was a way of saying "Woohoo! I love that!

    Oh well, I'm learning ; )


  7. #7
    Just Starting! Cassis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    36

    Re: What does "Bump" mean in a seller's post? How do we purchase an item?

    I thought the same thing you did! I felt silly asking, but if I didn't ask, I wouldn't know how the proper routine of purchasing a costume. The ladies who gave the answers and information were so helpful and supportive! I'm glad I asked. It's important to know in order to be fair to everyone, especially when there are many responses to one costume for sale and there is a big line up to purchase it. That happened to me recently and there were soooo many responses, it was overwhelming and confusing. But having this information and knowing the routine really helped.

    Quote Originally Posted by okiBelly View Post
    Hmm, I'm glad i saw this post....but now I feel silly. I thought "bump" was a way of saying "Woohoo! I love that!

    Oh well, I'm learning ; )


Similar Threads

  1. does anybody know ebay seller "lakino86"???
    By shirin74 in forum Vendor/Buyer Concerns
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
  2. "Ethics" ?? buyer - seller
    By ingridschossler in forum Vendor/Buyer Concerns
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 09:05 AM
  3. Wanted: Your "costume purchase regret" stories
    By Nisima in forum Belly Dance Beauty & Costuming
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Statistics
  • Threads 41,126
  • Posts 594,283
  • Members 38,129
  • Welcome to our newest member, asad20


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200