Hey all - While I know the good people at Folktours will have lots of plans and suggestions for us all while we're with them, I'd love to hear peoples' recommendations for Istanbul - bars, cafes, galleries, parks, walks, museums to visit (or places to avoid), and especially...costume shopping! Please tell me your favorite places to buy bellydance stuff! Who do you like, what are prices like over there, what's worth it to get there and what's not?
Also, in all the travel literature on Turkey, I keep reading about the drugged-drink scam, and it's nearly happened to several people I know, most of them male. Do ladies need to be concerned about this, or is it usually aimed at male travelers to rob them? I'm not really worried about it, because everyone I know who's been there has a fine time, and hell - I live in New York. Whatever happens here happens anywhere. Just curious if any Bhuzzers have an opinion to offer on this.
Venting: Sort of on that subject, even though I've been advised to read the US State Dept. recommendations on traveling there, I have to say that it reads like nothing but fear-mongering...if I only took their advice I think I'd have to live in a freaking bubble! Measles! Mumps! Bombs! Sheesh.
Anyway...costume dealers: the good, the bad, and the sparkly! Go!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Istanbul Recommendations?
08-03-2007 10:29 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2003
- Gainesville FL
08-04-2007 02:00 AM #2Upcoming Belly Dance Events
- May 30:WAMED Festival, Perth May 30-Jun 3 2013
- May 31:Austin Belly Dance Convention (ABDC)
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed Dinner & Dance Show
- Jun 01:Soraya Zayed (aka Soraia Zaied) Teaches & Performs in CA
- Jun 06:The New York Theatrical Bellydance Conference 2013
- Jun 06:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 07:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:"Cairo By Night" June 8th at Arabesque
- Jun 08:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 08:Detroit Art of Belly Dance
- Jun 09:Shimmy 2B Free - featuring Princess Farhana
- Jun 13:A-Z Biennial Event, USA 2013
- Jun 13:Keti Sharif - A-Z Teacher Training & Community Dance Workshops
- Jun 14:HOSSAM RAMZY AND SERENA. Workshop and show in Mexico City
- Jun 14:Jewels Of the Orient Bellydance & Wellness Festival
- Soheir Zaki and Zizi Mustafa
- Jewel-tone Purple Egyptian Dress
- Seashells!! Red & Blue Egyptian Cabaret
- FLIRTY SKIRTY Professional Tribal Fusion Vintage Lace Slit Skirt Belly Dance Costume
- getting and using pics from parties/with audience in
- Red Asi Haskal - No Longer Available
- ALMAZ, Kuala Lumpur
- ma adarsh ala keda/makdarsh info
- Austin Belly Dance Convention....Can't Wait
- Olive Green Bella Pant Costume
- Flattering Black and Silver Bedlah
- Black and Leopard Costume -- Extremely comfortable
- Turquoise Coin Tribaret Bedlah - Stunning!
- Tribal Fringe Bra Belt - OOAK Handmade Earth Tones
- Sexy Fuschia/Orange Bella 32-35 B/C/D 32-35 UH Short Lady Options! - SOLD
- Threads 43,390
- Posts 633,257
- Members 36,144
- Welcome to our newest member, nathaira