Hey all - While I know the good people at Folktours will have lots of plans and suggestions for us all while we're with them, I'd love to hear peoples' recommendations for Istanbul - bars, cafes, galleries, parks, walks, museums to visit (or places to avoid), and especially...costume shopping! Please tell me your favorite places to buy bellydance stuff! Who do you like, what are prices like over there, what's worth it to get there and what's not?
Also, in all the travel literature on Turkey, I keep reading about the drugged-drink scam, and it's nearly happened to several people I know, most of them male. Do ladies need to be concerned about this, or is it usually aimed at male travelers to rob them? I'm not really worried about it, because everyone I know who's been there has a fine time, and hell - I live in New York. Whatever happens here happens anywhere. Just curious if any Bhuzzers have an opinion to offer on this.
Venting: Sort of on that subject, even though I've been advised to read the US State Dept. recommendations on traveling there, I have to say that it reads like nothing but fear-mongering...if I only took their advice I think I'd have to live in a freaking bubble! Measles! Mumps! Bombs! Sheesh.
Anyway...costume dealers: the good, the bad, and the sparkly! Go!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Istanbul Recommendations?
08-03-2007 10:29 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2003
- Gainesville FL
08-04-2007 02:00 AM #2Upcoming Belly Dance Events
- Apr 25:Weekend with Zahra Zuhair!
- May 01:Romani(gypsy) dance festival in Turkey
- May 03:Istanbul Gypsy Festival
- May 03:ANNUAL Atlanta SEEDs Gala and Fundraiser
- May 03:Leyla Amir Workshop
- May 03:Maria Strova Los Angeles Seminar: Dancing the Passionate Salome
- May 09:30th annual Shimmy by the Sea
- May 10:Shimmy Mob
- May 10:World Belly Dance Day Fundraiser for Haven
- May 13:Tribal Fest® 14
- May 17:ZAFIRAH presents FERESHTEH HOSSEINI!
- May 23:11th Dahab Holiday Dance Festival
- May 23:Third Dancer’s Intensive
- May 30:The Austin Belly Dance Convention 2014
- May 31:Greek Folk Dance Workshop with Amartia sponsored by Studio Artemis!
- Pharonics of Egypt bra/belt set! Very sparkly and well made!! DROP LIST PRICE 25%! SALE!
- brand new! professional costume - main colour pink!
- New yellow Hesham Osman costume!!
- OAK Taksim Sim Eggplant/Wine & White- Elegant!! - No Longer Available
- Iso skirt/cape sets
- Rare bright green and multicoloured Yasser - affordable price!
- IT´S A STEAL! Tomato red and golden full body costume by Hanan
- DD Bella bra/belt and accessories, includes a double layer skirt with 2 slits (non Bella skirt)
- Purple skirt
- ISO GOLD Pharonics Icicles Bra and Belt set or similar quality from Bella or Eman, prefer to trade
- Terrible experience with designer, can't get refund.
- Cute Orange & Black Beginner Costume
- Professional heavenly blue Hanan with purple accents - a stunner on stage!!
- Black/silver chiffon costume
- Gold and Black Bra and Belt Set
- Threads 39,639
- Posts 584,151
- Members 37,817
- Welcome to our newest member, Summmbelle